Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Arcane Background / Class Edges and Arcane Skill during character creation.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcane Background / Class Edges and Arcane Skill during character creation.

Do Arcane Background edges, or Class Edges that provide Arcane backgrounds, also provide the arcane skill associated to it for free at a D4? Or must the player purchase it during character creation like any other skill? I assume the latter, as I can not find any special rule for automatic aquisition of the arcane skill referenced anywhere in the core book. Yet I have seen responses to other forum questions where responses seemed to indicate that you get the skill at a D4 automatically with the Arcane Background edge (or Class Edge). If that is true, can someone please inform me what page within the Core rules that is stated?

My apologies if this has already been answered, but I did not find it in my Pathfinder for Savage Worlds forum search. Thank you.

Originally posted by Burning_Tyger View Post
    Do Arcane Background edges, or Class Edges that provide Arcane backgrounds, also provide the arcane skill associated to it for free at a D4? Or must the player purchase it during character creation like any other skill? I assume the latter, as I can not find any special rule for automatic aquisition of the arcane skill referenced anywhere in the core book. Yet I have seen responses to other forum questions where responses seemed to indicate that you get the skill at a D4 automatically with the Arcane Background edge (or Class Edge). If that is true, can someone please inform me what page within the Core rules that is stated?
    Characters do not get the arcane skill for free for their first Arcane Background at character creation. They must purchase it normally like any other skill.

However, per Multi-Classing (p. 43) <italics added>, "If a character takes a new Arcane Background, she gets the new powers, and a d4 in its arcane skill if she doesn’t already have it."

A character could start with a Class Edge which provides an Arcane Background, then also take the Arcane Background Edge at character creation. If the AB used a different arcane skill the character doesn't already have, they would start with that skill at a d4.

Note: Edges are chosen after determining Skills in character creation, so the character can't "go back" and spend Skill Points to increase the second arcane skill. It can only be innately increased higher than d4 through Advances.

Hope that helps.

Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X