Two-Weapon (dual wield) Fighting Clarification Needed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Two-Weapon (dual wield) Fighting Clarification Needed

First off - LOVE the conversion/conglomeration between SW and PF. It is glorious!

I am a bit lost on Two-Weapon fighting rules though. My references will be from the Core Book. When looking at everything together, here are the main things that are important I believe:

Multi-Actions (p136)
    Each additional action beyond the first inflicts a -2 penalty to all actions.

Two Weapons (p140)
    A character armed with two melee weapons adds +1 to Fighting rolls if his foe has a single weapon or is unarmed, and has no shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting Summary (p98)
    Make one extra Fighting or Athletics roll with a second melee or throwing weapon in off-hand at no Multi-Action penalty.

Two-Weapon Fighting Feat (pg 74)
    If a character makes an attack with one action and another from a different hand in a later action, the second attack doesn't inflict a Multi-Action penalty. The Off-Hand penalty still applies unless he's Ambidextrous, however.

Example (same page)
    A fighter wields a longsword in one hand and a dagger in the other. He has Two-Weapon Fighting so he rolls Fighting on one action with the sword, and then makes a second Fighting roll - or an Athletics roll - with the dagger, with no Multi-Action penalty to either.

-------

Conclusion:

Without being ambidextrous, the advantage to wielding a weapon in both hands over a single weapon and just attacking twice is that:

a) The guy attacking with the same single weapon twice suffers: -2 / -2 to both attacks.
    b) The guy attacking with a weapon in each hand suffers: 0 / -2 to both attacks. (-2 coming from no ambidexterity)
    c) The guys attacking with a weapon in each hand three times in a round suffers: -4 / -6 to both attacks. (-4 / -4 for it being the third attack, and nothing in the description addressing the 3rd attack) and (-2 to the offhand because of no ambidexterity). This of course is WORSE than the guy attacking with a single weapon three times, who is only (-4 / -4) on the third attack.

Question: Do I have that all correct and was that the way the Edge was designed to work???

Originally posted by Mystic7 View Post
    First off - LOVE the conversion/conglomeration between SW and PF. It is glorious!

I am a bit lost on Two-Weapon fighting rules though. My references will be from the Core Book. When looking at everything together, here are the main things that are important I believe:

Multi-Actions (p136)
    Each additional action beyond the first inflicts a -2 penalty to all actions.

Two Weapons (p140)
    A character armed with two melee weapons adds +1 to Fighting rolls if his foe has a single weapon or is unarmed, and has no shield.

Two-Weapon Fighting Summary (p98)
    Make one extra Fighting or Athletics roll with a second melee or throwing weapon in off-hand at no Multi-Action penalty.

Two-Weapon Fighting Feat (pg 74)
    If a character makes an attack with one action and another from a different hand in a later action, the second attack doesn't inflict a Multi-Action penalty. The Off-Hand penalty still applies unless he's Ambidextrous, however.

Example (same page)
    A fighter wields a longsword in one hand and a dagger in the other. He has Two-Weapon Fighting so he rolls Fighting on one action with the sword, and then makes a second Fighting roll - or an Athletics roll - with the dagger, with no Multi-Action penalty to either.

-------

Conclusion:

Without being ambidextrous, the advantage to wielding a weapon in both hands over a single weapon and just attacking twice is that:

a) The guy attacking with the same single weapon twice suffers: -2 / -2 to both attacks.
    b) The guy attacking with a weapon in each hand suffers: 0 / -2 to both attacks. (-2 coming from no ambidexterity)
    c) The guys attacking with a weapon in each hand three times in a round suffers: -4 / -6 to both attacks. (-4 / -4 for it being the third attack, and nothing in the description addressing the 3rd attack) and (-2 to the offhand because of no ambidexterity). This of course is WORSE than the guy attacking with a single weapon three times, who is only (-4 / -4) on the third attack.

Question: Do I have that all correct and was that the way the Edge was designed to work???
    Close but not quite.

If a character has the Two Weapon Fighting Edge (Feats are a different system ), then as noted in the summary and description, the second attack with the off-hand does not inflict a Multi-Action Penalty.

Per Multi-Actions, " Each additional action beyond the first inflicts a −2 penalty to all actions."

It doesn't matter of the character takes 2 actions or 3 actions, if two of them are Fighting or Athletics (Throwing) attacks and the second attack is with the off-hand, then that action doesn't inflict a MAP.

Meaning the character would suffer no MAP for two actions, and a –2 MAP if they perform three actions (–0 for the second and –2 for the third).

As far as the "advantage" to wielding a weapon in two hands instead, that's more complex as two-handed weapons tend to have some advantages over one-handed ones (usually greater damage or Reach). And of course, if talking Edges, then a two-handed weapon is required to use the Sweep Edge (allowing the character to attack all targets within their Reach as a single action).

Anyway, hope that helps!
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X