Upcoming Doomtown Reloaded KS

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upcoming Doomtown Reloaded KS

I'm looking forward to the upcoming Doomtown Reloaded KS, though I've never played any previous versions of the game.

For those who have, any insight on how the game has played in your experience?
    What have you enjoyed most about the game?
    What might not have set so well with you or your other players?
    And what, if any, changes, revisions or other ideas, would you like to see implemented in the new version?

We all know the production quality and art of the game will be great, but what do you most look forward to playing the game?

This Doomtown Reloaded tenderfoot greenhorn would love to know.

Hello MightyMicK,

Good idea for a topic.

For those who have, any insight on how the game has played in your experience?
    The game is interactive and normally takes 30 minutes-45 minutes. New players can sometimes fall in to the trap of going "all-in" to shootouts too early (just like new poker players!), but with the demo decks and example decks playtest have built we've tried to include some cheap dudes to absorb early bloodlust along with some advice on how to manage the first few turns.
    It captures the feeling of Deadlands well - Hucksters have tricks and powerful effects, Law Dogs hunt down wanted dudes and get bonuses from doing so and weird abominations and Harrowed dudes are hard to put down permanently. The variety of factions is appealing - people who like an aggressive style, movement tricks, control or combos can all find a faction that suits them.

The thing I enjoy most about Doomtown Reloaded is the interaction: there is tactical movement around town leading to skirmishes, it tells a story and feels lead a real Western.
    I also love the deck building and the flexibility this offers as most of the cards are available to all factions. However, the playtest team is conscious that not everyone enjoys deck building and some people want more of a "boardgame" experience. Therefore we're committed to providing lots of example decks, in particular, decks that can be built off 2x the base set and various expansions - these decks should be well balanced against one another and offer a fun evening for those who are less interested in deck building, or want a solid base to work from.

"What might not have set so well with you or your other players?"
    Previously there were some uninteractive decks that were very successful, but AEG (eventuall) issued errata for these cards. Pinebox seems a bit swifter to take action on things that are bad for the environment without being over-hasty.

We all know the production quality and art of the game will be great, but what do you most look forward to playing the game?
    The story and seeing Doomtown integrated more in to the wider Deadlands world. Seeing how various canon characters show up will be fun: Morgan Lash (from The Cackler comic) is in the Kickstarter set and looks fun and flavourful. As noted above, I like how each Doomtown game feels like a story, so seeing Morgan Lash (and friends/foes!) move around a growing town and shoot dudes and cast hexes appeals to me. I don't like it when a game feels too abstract.

Here's the buyer's guide I put together: http://forums.pineboxentertainment.c...ase-set/1632/6. Some of the other playtesters helped put together some example decks that are listed in this document. We'll be expanding these decks to include various expansions when the Kickstarter begins.

Comment

Howdy MightyMicK!

For those who have, any insight how the game has played in your experience?
      The game strives to be interactive and we shoot to have the average game take between 20-40 mins. In general I would say the game has two phases. If you don't know what deck your opponent is playing, the first phase is usually about making a read on your opponent. You're usually in a state where you aren't quite sure what your opponent is going to do so you're trying to make a game plan. However, at some point, you need to take the initiative and then execute a game plan, which is when you'll move to the second phase. During the second phase, you're going to try to apply pressure to opponent while they counter your moves. A lot of the interaction from Doomtown comes from this give and take aspect. Moving your dudes around the town becomes key to place your opponent in a bad position and stacking the odds in your favor for shootouts.

Newer players tend to have an itchy trigger finger and go in hard during the first shootout (tailor their decks specifically to shooting). However, as Harlath posted above, we are hoping to provide more resources to help newer players see the "broader" options that can help them expand their game plan.

What I enjoy the most about Doomtown is that turns a lot of common card game conventions on their heads. For example, in most card games, playing as many cards as possible is usually a very dominant strategy. With Doomtown's Poker mechanic, every card you play can influence the strength of the poker hands as you affect the remaining cards in your deck. In addition, I thoroughly enjoy the "reading" of your opponent's strategy which comes with seeing the cards in their deck. It makes a really great game of trying to figure out your opponent faster than they can figure you out.

What might not have set so well with you or your other players?
      There are a couple of decks and cards that have been potential problems. We are looking to evaluate these cards on their merits and move on them in an effective manner that maximizes the health of the game.

All the different deck types that always seem to spring up. One of the great things about Doomtown is that ever different place the game is played seem to have wildly different takes on the game. This leads to a lot of deck variety and different strategies you can then try out for yourself! There's always something new to test. Also, with new cards coming out, it's always exciting to see what new strategies will take hold!

Cheers!

Comment

I'm glad to hear you are excited! Take your time with this one. Play. Play. Play. The game has a way of revealing itself to you over time. It's like a cat. You have to earn it's affection but once you do it's hard to not love it yourself.

Comment

Any news when this KS is going to start?

I bought two core boxes pretty cheap from CSI right before AEG said they were discontinuing the game. I've wanted to get into it but was hesitant when the game looked like it was dying. I'm hoping there will be a deal for a bunch of the older cards in the Kickstarter to help get me caught up.

Comment

Originally posted by sillywilly4 View Post
            Any news when this KS is going to start?

I bought two core boxes pretty cheap from CSI right before AEG said they were discontinuing the game. I've wanted to get into it but was hesitant when the game looked like it was dying. I'm hoping there will be a deal for a bunch of the older cards in the Kickstarter to help get me caught up.
            It starts on the 5th of September! According to various Facebook posts by Pinebox staff members, the Kickstarter will indeed feature good offers on old expansions as well as the new cards. Delighted to have you on board.

Comment

Indeed , mark your calendars now! We also truly hope to engage Savage Worlds players in upcoming conventions, starting at PAX Unplugged. We'll be present to provide new players with decks for our event and very much look forward to merging these two great communities

Comment

Anyone looking for more information on the Doomtown: Reloaded factions before the Sept 5 Kickstarter? Take a gander here for introductory articles! Law Dogs and Fourth Ring are up so far with the rest to follow as we count down to There Comes A Reckoning!!!

http://pineboxentertainment.com/blog/

Comment

Morgan Cattle Company and 108 Righteous Bandits have been added as well! The 108 should be very familiar to you Deadlands fans that have ventured around the Great Maze

Comment

Print and play demo decks plus quick start rules are now available over at the Pinebox website.

http://pineboxentertainment.com/learn-to-play/

Comment

Next up is the world of the cowboys, hexslingers, and a life of crime with The Sloane Gang!

http://pineboxentertainment.com/2017...ategic-primer/

Comment

Working...
                      X