Autofire/RoF wording in SWD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Autofire/RoF wording in SWD

So a couple questions came up on the Discord server that seem a little tricky to nail down.

1. Primarily a question of wording: under Rate of Fire in Chapter 2, it states that a user can fire up to the weapon's Rate of Fire per round, and single shots can be fired without imposing recoil penalties. Under Automatic Fire in Chapter 3, though, it states that you must roll a number of dice equal to the weapon's Rate of Fire, not up to. You are able to fire less than the weapon's Rate of Fire using the Automatic Fire rules, correct?

2. A bit of a trickier question. The Auto descriptor in the gear chapter means that a full-auto weapon can fire in single-shot mode (it appears that this option is being rolled into the Semi-Auto descriptor in the SFC and later materials, so I'm under the assumption that these descriptors are more or less identical). If a full-auto weapon doesn't have the Auto descriptor—such as several machine guns, including the Gatling (.45), MG34/42, and SAW—they cannot fire single shots as though they were in a semi-automatic mode. Can such weapons fire a "single" burst in Autofire mode, i.e. a single Shooting die (plus Wild Die, if applicable) using its RoF in Shots and suffering the –2 autofire penalty? Or can automatic fire exclusively be performed when firing at a RoF 2+?
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post
    So a couple questions came up on the Discord server that seem a little tricky to nail down.

1. Primarily a question of wording: under Rate of Fire in Chapter 2, it states that a user can fire up to the weapon's Rate of Fire per round, and single shots can be fired without imposing recoil penalties. Under Automatic Fire in Chapter 3, though, it states that you must roll a number of dice equal to the weapon's Rate of Fire, not up to. You are able to fire less than the weapon's Rate of Fire using the Automatic Fire rules, correct?
    Except as noted under Rate of Fire, "Unless a weapon says otherwise," yes, full automatic weapons can fire less than their listed ROF.

Originally posted by DoctorBoson View Post
    2. A bit of a trickier question. The Auto descriptor in the gear chapter means that a full-auto weapon can fire in single-shot mode (it appears that this option is being rolled into the Semi-Auto descriptor in the SFC and later materials, so I'm under the assumption that these descriptors are more or less identical). If a full-auto weapon doesn't have the Auto descriptor—such as several machine guns, including the Gatling (.45), MG34/42, and SAW—they cannot fire single shots as though they were in a semi-automatic mode. Can such weapons fire a "single" burst in Autofire mode, i.e. a single Shooting die (plus Wild Die, if applicable) using its RoF in Shots and suffering the –2 autofire penalty? Or can automatic fire exclusively be performed when firing at a RoF 2+?
    A weapon with a ROF of 2+ without "Auto" (core rules) or "Semi-Auto" (SFC) can still fire less than it's full ROF down to a single attack, but it still acts as a full-auto attack, suffering the -2 penalty and using the weapon's full ROF in bullets. So the SAW with ROF 4 could roll a single Shooting die and Wild die, but still suffers the -2 and using 4 rounds of ammunition in the attack.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X