Opposed Casting Rolls w/ No PP Rule

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opposed Casting Rolls w/ No PP Rule

I was hoping I could get some clarification on how the penalties from the No PP setting rule affect casting checks other than the initial activation check.

Would a character casting Telekinesis incur the -2 penalty (5 PP/2, rounded down) on both the activation check and the subsequent opposed Spirit roll, or does the penalty only apply to the activation check? Same question with the penalties from maintaining a power.

I've been houseruling that opposed casting rolls (dodging Burst, escaping Entangle, etc.) ingore the casting cost penalties and use the unmodied casting roll as the TN, unless there was some other penalty on the caster.

Originally posted by MichaelDawn View Post
    I was hoping I could get some clarification on how the penalties from the No PP setting rule affect casting checks other than the initial activation check.

Would a character casting Telekinesis incur the -2 penalty (5 PP/2, rounded down) on both the activation check and the subsequent opposed Spirit roll, or does the penalty only apply to the activation check? Same question with the penalties from maintaining a power.

I've been houseruling that opposed casting rolls (dodging Burst, escaping Entangle, etc.) ingore the casting cost penalties and use the unmodied casting roll as the TN, unless there was some other penalty on the caster.
    Casting penalties apply to the activation roll, regardless of whether it's opposed or not. Same thing for maintenance penalties when activating a power. If a caster rolls a 6 with a -2 penalty (-2 for a 5 PP cost on the fly without preparing), then they got a 4 and barely succeed at activating the power, and that's the TN to resist the power with an opposed roll.

As far as powers which have subsequent rolls, The No PPs Setting Rule says arcane characters <italics added> "choose the power they want to activate and make an arcane skill roll." So the following penalties listed only apply to activation rolls, and if successful, subsequent rolls for that specific power use wouldn't be affected.

One thing casting penalties don't affect are the ranged attack result for any power which uses the arcane skill roll to determine that as well. That ranged attack result isn't affected by casting or activation modifiers but does suffer any penalties which apply to ranged attacks.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X