[SPC2] Intangibility and Possession

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SPC2] Intangibility and Possession

Ok, so one of my players has the Permanent modifier on his Intangibility, as well as the Phase modifier (he's some kind of ghost). I argued that because it is permanent, he cannot sustain the action on a raise without remaining tangible because he needs to become tangible in order to even use the power (which he either can't do for multiple rounds due to Phase overwriting the normal rules for turning tangible, or won't do because it makes him vulnerable). He argues that being able to Possess someone is a metaphysical thing, and as such he shouldn't be restricted in sustaining it.

I also notice some confusing wording in the book: "The victim may make an opposed Spirit roll to break free anytime the possessor is Shaken or wounded. If the possessor’s body is wounded, his spirit snaps back to it and frees the target."

There are two interpretations of this that we came up with:

1. If the possessor currently is Shaken or Wounded, it's a sustained Spirit check every round to maintain control; if they're wounded (as in, become Wounded while Possessing), the Possession fails.
    2.The first sentence pertains to the possessed's body (and refers to the possessor by proxy) and the second sentence pertains to the possessor's own body.

So, my questions:

1. Can you Possess someone without becoming tangible first? If no, can he sustain the action without remaining tangible?
    2. Which interpretation is correct for the quote in italics, 1 or 2 or neither?

Originally posted by JVKG View Post
    Ok, so one of my players has the Permanent modifier on his Intangibility, as well as the Phase modifier (he's some kind of ghost). I argued that because it is permanent, he cannot sustain the action on a raise without remaining tangible because he needs to become tangible in order to even use the power (which he either can't do for multiple rounds due to Phase overwriting the normal rules for turning tangible, or won't do because it makes him vulnerable). He argues that being able to Possess someone is a metaphysical thing, and as such he shouldn't be restricted in sustaining it.

1. Can you Possess someone without becoming tangible first? If no, can he sustain the action without remaining tangible?
    Nope and nope.

Per Intangibility <italics added>, "The super can walk through walls or other barriers but cannot affect the physical world while intangible." And per the Phase Modifier, "The character can phase in
    long enough to take a single action (such as an attack) and immediately phase back out again."

So the character can't affect the physical world at all while intangible and Phase only allows being tangible long enough to make a single action, once that action is over, they're intangible again and can't affect the physical world any longer. There is no caveat for any effect being "metaphysical" nor even any use of the word. The physical world consists of anything that isn't also intangible, and how it might be affected isn't a factor (barring a GM allowance for trappings).

Originally posted by JVKG View Post
    I also notice some confusing wording in the book: "The victim may make an opposed Spirit roll to break free anytime the possessor is Shaken or wounded. If the possessor’s body is wounded, his spirit snaps back to it and frees the target."

There are two interpretations of this that we came up with:

1. If the possessor currently is Shaken or Wounded, it's a sustained Spirit check every round to maintain control; if they're wounded (as in, become Wounded while Possessing), the Possession fails.
    2.The first sentence pertains to the possessed's body (and refers to the possessor by proxy) and the second sentence pertains to the possessor's own body.

2. Which interpretation is correct for the quote in italics, 1 or 2 or neither?
    The second is correct. Possession allows a character "to push a target’s soul out of his body so that he may inhabit it himself," and so during that time, the possessor is in that body. If the possessor (in the new body) is Shaken or Wounded, the victim gets a chance to break free. If the possessor's original body is wounded (can't be Shaken since it's already "completely helpless"), then the spirit snaps back and the effect ends immediately.

[Sidenote: Sounds like the player wants to make a ghost who can possess bodies. In that case, it becomes a factor of adapting both powers via trappings. May want to start a thread in one of the open discussion topics for advice on that from other forum members.]

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X