Arcane Resistance edge wording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arcane Resistance edge wording

Hi Clint. A player of mine put me a bug in the ear, so I searched in the old forum, but I found no clear answer. The first part of the ability isn't important here. The description then tells "... and adds +2 to his Trait rolls when resisting opposed powers. Even friendly arcane powers must subtract this modifier to affect the resistant hero."
    I'm trying to find a meaning to the wording. Let's go with the examples (the 1st one is partially OT, but interesting enough):
    1 - EnemyMage casts Puppet on ResistantHero. This is Arcane Skill roll vs. Hero Spirit (so opposed). EnemyMage rolls 5, -2 'cause the resistance kicks in, so TOT 3. ResistantHero rolls 3. Is this a tieing on the Opposed Roll (so GM call about the actual, maybe dimmed down, effects) or the modifier is enough to making the EnemyMage to fail, 'cause he didn't get the TN4 required for the actual power casting?
    2 - EnemyMage casts Intangibility on ResistantHero (so he can put it "out of play" for a while... eh eh eh). He need to touch the ResistantHero, so those are 2 actions (cast + touch attack). Does Arcane Resistance have some utility here? It's not involving opposed rolls (neither the casting action or the touch attack, going on the Parry value), apparently.
    3 - EnemyMage casts Stun (or Fear, or even Confusion - that is also not AoE based) on ResistantHero. Does EnemyMage suffer penalties? I suppose he's not, 'cause in the first 2 powers he's targeting an area, and in the 3rd case ResistantHero is the only target, however the roll isn't opposed. For the same reason... Is the ResistantHero suffering the effects of those powers as anybody else? No resistance bonuses for him, only 'cause the resistance roll isn't opposed?
    4 - (this is the most important question) FriendlyMage want to cast some useful power on ResistantHero. Let's start with Boost Trait (Agility): no opposed rolls involved, so theoretically he suffers no malus from the resistance. Then, he want to heal him: again, no opposed rolls, so actually no problems. Or, the latter edge phrase means that it works differently from the enemies?

If the latter edge's part (must subtract to affect) is different from the previous one (when resisting opposed powers), should be possible to re-write the edge in a different (maybe simpler) way, saying the ResistantHero gets +2 on his rolls involving enemies powers (opposed or not), AND his allies gets -2 on their arcane skill rolls involving him as target, or something like that? Or... Am I totally mis-reading the edge?

Thanks in advance.
    "Balance is the key, Trapping is the word." - - Lord Lance

Proud reviser of the SAVAGE FREE BESTIARY

Originally posted by Lord Lance View Post
    Hi Clint. A player of mine put me a bug in the ear, so I searched in the old forum, but I found no clear answer. The first part of the ability isn't important here. The description then tells "... and adds +2 to his Trait rolls when resisting opposed powers. Even friendly arcane powers must subtract this modifier to affect the resistant hero."
    I'm trying to find a meaning to the wording. Let's go with the examples (the 1st one is partially OT, but interesting enough):
    1 - EnemyMage casts Puppet on ResistantHero. This is Arcane Skill roll vs. Hero Spirit (so opposed). EnemyMage rolls 5, -2 'cause the resistance kicks in, so TOT 3. ResistantHero rolls 3. Is this a tieing on the Opposed Roll (so GM call about the actual, maybe dimmed down, effects) or the modifier is enough to making the EnemyMage to fail, 'cause he didn't get the TN4 required for the actual power casting?
    First off, by definition "EnemyMage" is not using a "friendly arcane power," so the modifier is not subtracted from their roll. Instead, the base effect of +2 to resist opposed rolls applies.

So EnemyMage rolls a 5 which is successful, and Hero rolls a 3 which with the +2 from AR becomes a 5. This is in fact a tie which means no clear winner, and since it's an instant effect, effectively the Hero wins since he is unaffected by the power.

2 - EnemyMage casts Intangibility on ResistantHero (so he can put it "out of play" for a while... eh eh eh). He need to touch the ResistantHero, so those are 2 actions (cast + touch attack). Does Arcane Resistance have some utility here? It's not involving opposed rolls (neither the casting action or the touch attack, going on the Parry value), apparently.
    Barring some alteration due to trappings, such an action would be somewhat pointless as the affected character can simply choose to become corporeal whenever they wish. Still if done, it's pretty much a "friendly arcane power" since it gives the target an advantage so it would suffer the -2 penalty to activation (in addition to the -2 for the MAP from the Touch Attack).

Still, using it as an "attack" would be a change and thus fully dependent on the GM's call.

3 - EnemyMage casts Stun (or Fear, or even Confusion - that is also not AoE based) on ResistantHero. Does EnemyMage suffer penalties? I suppose he's not, 'cause in the first 2 powers he's targeting an area, and in the 3rd case ResistantHero is the only target, however the roll isn't opposed. For the same reason... Is the ResistantHero suffering the effects of those powers as anybody else? No resistance bonuses for him, only 'cause the resistance roll isn't opposed?
    I'd say the bonus applies to any roll to resist a power, so the character would apply the bonus to any roll a target normally takes.

4 - (this is the most important question) FriendlyMage want to cast some useful power on ResistantHero. Let's start with Boost Trait (Agility): no opposed rolls involved, so theoretically he suffers no malus from the resistance. Then, he want to heal him: again, no opposed rolls, so actually no problems. Or, the latter edge phrase means that it works differently from the enemies?

If the latter edge's part (must subtract to affect) is different from the previous one (when resisting opposed powers), should be possible to re-write the edge in a different (maybe simpler) way, saying the ResistantHero gets +2 on his rolls involving enemies powers (opposed or not), AND his allies gets -2 on their arcane skill rolls involving him as target, or something like that? Or... Am I totally mis-reading the edge?
    Not sure I understand. Other than the +2 applying to resist powers which aren't opposed, that's pretty much exactly what the Edge already states. The character gets +2 Armor and +2 to resist powers, and friendly arcane powers subtract the bonus from their rolls. There's nothing in there stating any powers other than friendly ones use the modifier as a penalty.

Hope that helps and clarifies.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X