Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wounds

Question:

My character, a wild card, has a toughness of 5. She's shot and dealt 40 damage.

The rules say a wild card takes 3 wounds, and any damage dealt after would cause the character to be incapacitated.

In order to soak all of the wounds, would my character have to net a success and two raises for the 3 wounds, or enough successes and raises to cover the 8 total wounds that would technically be dealt?

To expand on this - The character has suffered 3 wounds; one more wound would incapacitate the hero. The hero is hit - the attacker rolls 40 damage. Does the hero need to only roll to shake the one wound that would cause incapacitation? Or would the hero have to roll to soak the additional technical 7 wounds worth of damage?
    Last edited by arch_angel909; 04-20-2018, 04:37 AM.

Originally posted by arch_angel909 View Post
    Question:

My character, a wild card, has a toughness of 5. She's shot and dealt 40 damage.

The rules say a wild card takes 3 wounds, and any damage dealt after would cause the character to be incapacitated.

In order to soak all of the wounds, would my character have to net a success and two raises for the 3 wounds, or enough successes and raises to cover the 8 total wounds that would technically be dealt?

To expand on this - The character has suffered 3 wounds; one more wound would incapacitate the hero. The hero is hit - the attacker rolls 40 damage. Does the hero need to only roll to shake the one wound that would cause incapacitation? Or would the hero have to roll to soak the additional technical 7 wounds worth of damage?
    Any wounds a character takes over 3 wounds causes Incapacitation, but Soaking occurs before damage is applied so the character faces the full result of the roll. So in the above example, the character would be facing 8 wounds to Soak (and a minimum of 5 wounds to avoid Incapacitation). Really, at any point past 6 wounds, it's generally better to save Bennies to reroll the Vigor roll after Incapacitation than try to Soak.*

[*Barring a setting that uses the 4 Wound limit rule, limiting any damage result to a maximum of 4 Wounds).

Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X