Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bonuses to the Lower of Two Skills (Follow-Up)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bonuses to the Lower of Two Skills (Follow-Up)

In the other thread, you wrote that bonuses to the primary skill apply when rolling on the limiting skill.
    So, is there always a primary skill for an action (Fighting for attacking someone, Persuasion for convincing someone, etc.) or is the higher skill simply the "primary" skill?
    It seems a bit tricky – e.g. I might argue that persuasion might play a role, but actually my argument is based on logic and facts (and that's what's convincing the scientists in the jury), or that my smooth driving skills are actually what's important in this "follow this car without raising suspicion"-scene and so on. Luckily, there are not many of these "lower of two skills" rolls.
    If a character is in a situation where he would have to roll the lower of two Skills, and if he has a bonus that applies to the higher Skill, does the bonus

Originally posted by Vasant View Post
    In the other thread, you wrote that bonuses to the primary skill apply when rolling on the limiting skill.
    So, is there always a primary skill for an action (Fighting for attacking someone, Persuasion for convincing someone, etc.) or is the higher skill simply the "primary" skill?
    It seems a bit tricky – e.g. I might argue that persuasion might play a role, but actually my argument is based on logic and facts (and that's what's convincing the scientists in the jury)
    There are only two rules like this in the core book, and yep, for both there is absolutely a primary skill. Attacking from horseback is Fighting, and no matter how knowledgeable a character is, a Social Conflict is resolved with a social skill, Persuasion. If scientists could be swayed by facts and logic alone, Tesla and Edison would have changed the world together instead of bickering like kids in a sandbox.

Originally posted by Vasant View Post
    ...or that my smooth driving skills are actually what's important in this "follow this car without raising suspicion"-scene and so on. Luckily, there are not many of these "lower of two skills" rolls.
    To clarify here, I removed this example from the original text because it does not actually exist in the book, and thus doesn't fall within the criteria for this topic. If the GM is applying a situational call like that, then how it works is up to the GM of course.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X