Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [SPC2] Generic Modifier : Contingent

Hi,

About Contingent (-2), does the modifier imply that you would be required to take the multiple action penalty every time you want to try and use the Contingent power?

For exemple, I have have "Copycat" Contingent on successful negation, does that mean that I need to try to activate Negation with -2 (for multiple actions) even though the secondary power might not active?

Sounds legit to me, otherwise it would actually just be a bonus to take contingent, but I want to be sure!

Originally posted by Exzekiel View Post
    Hi,

About Contingent (-2), does the modifier imply that you would be required to take the multiple action penalty every time you want to try and use the Contingent power?

For exemple, I have have "Copycat" Contingent on successful negation, does that mean that I need to try to activate Negation with -2 (for multiple actions) even though the secondary power might not active?
    Nope. The secondary power activates on the success of the primary, there's no additional action. In fact, no additional action is needed normally. Both powers activate on a "successful Touch attack," there's no need for two Touch attacks for each power, it only takes one.

But with the –2 Modifier, the downside is Copycat only activates with the success of the primary power. Normally, Copycat would just work if the character touched the target, but with Contingent if the character resists Negation, then Copycat doesn't work either. And if a target had Resistance to affect Negation, it would affect Copycat too.

It also means the character can't use Copycat to "borrow" powers from allies without using Negation on them as well (which they aren't likely to allow), and should another character use Negation on them, they only need to negate Negation to remove Copycat too (meaning only Leach is needed to get both powers in one shot and Copycat doesn't apply when figuring the comparative power level).

Hope that helps and clarifies.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X