Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up on Size, Small / Large / Huge (Gargantuan) Categories / Sizes

http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...bility#p442193

So I have some questions brought about by the previous linked rules answer. I assumed that to get a size-related bonus of +2 to hit something, it had to be +4 sizes above your size. To get the +4 bonus, it had to be 8 sizes larger than you.

After re-reading the SWD rule wordings after the previous ruling, I wanted to go a little more in depth to make sure I understand the rule/ruling or be corrected if I am wrong.

Size -2 is Small
    Sizes -1 through +3 are Standard / "Medium"
    Sizes +4 through +7 are Large
    Sizes 8 and up are Large (or 9+ Gargantuan, which operates under Huge rules for this specific rule anyhow)

So a Size 0 attacking a Size 4 from the Large Category would get +2. And Size 0 vs Size 8 would be +4. This is the commonly understood situation, which gives rise to the belief that 4 or 8 sizes above or below your size affects your to hit / to be hit modifier.

Are these situations correct, then?
    A Size -1 would not get a +2 bonus to attack a Size 3?
    A Size +3 would get a bonus +2 to attack a Size 4?
    A Size -2 would get a bonus of +4 to hit a size 4?
    A Size -2 would get a bonus of +2 to hit a size -1 or size 0
    A Size +2 would get a bonus of +4 vs a size 8 creature.

Or

Basically, use size soley to determine which category (Small, Standard/"Medium", Large, Huge [Gargantuan]) an (N)PC is. Once that is determined.

Small is at +2 to hit Medium and +4 to hit Large and above.
    Medium is at -2 to hit Small, +2 to hit Large, and +4 to hit Huge and above.
    Large is at -4 to hit Small, -2 to hit Medium, and +2 to hit Huge and above.
    Huge and above is at -2 to hit Large, and -4 to hit medium and below.

Then, even more confusingly, Vehicle Size rules (such as in Rifts or SFC) abandon the concept of size categories for flat +2 to hit size 2 or more above and -2 to hit 2 or more sizes below. (Confusing in that, Vehiciles are size +2 / -2, which is how Small / Large / Huge can be read as, except 4 / 8 above or below instead of 2 above or below.)

So for attack bonuses, use size solely to determine which category the creature being attacked is in. Then apply bonuses based upon whether the category is 1 or 2 above/below yours?

Then if you are firing on a vehicile, if a vehicle is firing on you, or a vehicle is firing upon another vehicle, determine whether or not there is a 2 point size difference above or below you to apply an attack bonus?

Originally posted by Koshnek View Post
    http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...bility#p442193

So I have some questions brought about by the previous linked rules answer. I assumed that to get a size-related bonus of +2 to hit something, it had to be +4 sizes above your size. To get the +4 bonus, it had to be 8 sizes larger than you.

After re-reading the SWD rule wordings after the previous ruling, I wanted to go a little more in depth to make sure I understand the rule/ruling or be corrected if I am wrong.

Size -2 is Small
    Sizes -1 through +3 are Standard / "Medium"
    Sizes +4 through +7 are Large
    Sizes 8 and up are Large (or 9+ Gargantuan, which operates under Huge rules for this specific rule anyhow)

So a Size 0 attacking a Size 4 from the Large Category would get +2. And Size 0 vs Size 8 would be +4. This is the commonly understood situation, which gives rise to the belief that 4 or 8 sizes above or below your size affects your to hit / to be hit modifier.

Are these situations correct, then?
    A Size -1 would not get a +2 bonus to attack a Size 3?
    A Size +3 would get a bonus +2 to attack a Size 4?
    A Size -2 would get a bonus of +4 to hit a size 4?
    A Size -2 would get a bonus of +2 to hit a size -1 or size 0
    A Size +2 would get a bonus of +4 vs a size 8 creature.

Or

Basically, use size soley to determine which category (Small, Standard/"Medium", Large, Huge [Gargantuan]) an (N)PC is. Once that is determined.

Small is at +2 to hit Medium and +4 to hit Large and above.
    Medium is at -2 to hit Small, +2 to hit Large, and +4 to hit Huge and above.
    Large is at -4 to hit Small, -2 to hit Medium, and +2 to hit Huge and above.
    Huge and above is at -2 to hit Large, and -4 to hit medium and below.

So for attack bonuses, use size solely to determine which category the creature being attacked is in. Then apply bonuses based upon whether the category is 1 or 2 above/below yours?
    Not exactly. Nothing limits the modifier to a max of 2 categories as listed above. As the book states, it's not just inversed but also "cumulative," so a Small creature attacking a Huge one would have a +6 bonus to attack while the Huge creature would have a -6 penalty to hit the Small one.

Originally posted by Koshnek View Post
    Then, even more confusingly, Vehicle Size rules (such as in Rifts or SFC) abandon the concept of size categories for flat +2 to hit size 2 or more above and -2 to hit 2 or more sizes below. (Confusing in that, Vehiciles are size +2 / -2, which is how Small / Large / Huge can be read as, except 4 / 8 above or below instead of 2 above or below.)

Then if you are firing on a vehicile, if a vehicle is firing on you, or a vehicle is firing upon another vehicle, determine whether or not there is a 2 point size difference above or below you to apply an attack bonus?
    Yep.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X