X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow-up on SPC Contingent/Always On

From this:

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/offic...on-restriction

I apologize if I'm being thick on this one.

The example in the SPC2 text is as follows:

For -1 point, the Contingent power is
    only triggered when the primary power
    is activated. If toughness is linked to altered
    form, for example, the character cannot use
    toughness without changing her form.
    The issue this is causing in our discussions is that neither power in the example is normally not "Always On"--the text on altered form specifically calls out that it needs Requires Activation to not be Always On, and so the example is causing a fair bit of confusion.

Is the rule about Contingent ("Permanent abilities that are always on, such as ageless, cannot be Contingent.") meant to apply to toughness in this example, to altered form, or to both?

It seems strange for toughness to also need Requires Activation before it can be made Contingent on altered form (essentially giving it two -1 Modifiers). But that's how the sentences actually seem to read to some of our group.

As always, thanks for your patience and diligence.

Originally posted by Freemage View Post
    From this:

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/offic...on-restriction

I apologize if I'm being thick on this one.

The example in the SPC2 text is as follows:

The issue this is causing in our discussions is that neither power in the example is normally not "Always On"--the text on altered form specifically calls out that it needs Requires Activation to not be Always On, and so the example is causing a fair bit of confusion.

Is the rule about Contingent ("Permanent abilities that are always on, such as ageless, cannot be Contingent.") meant to apply to toughness in this example, to altered form, or to both?

It seems strange for toughness to also need Requires Activation before it can be made Contingent on altered form (essentially giving it two -1 Modifiers). But that's how the sentences actually seem to read to some of our group.
    Per the linked post <italics added>, "The latter is the key. Toughness with Requires Activation is no longer always on, so it could be Contingent on another power's use."

So yep, Toughness would not be permanent if it has Requires Activation (which can only be used on permanent/"always on" powers). Once it's not a permanent power, Contingent could be applied to it as well.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X