A scuffle in the dark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A scuffle in the dark

So, I've been looking over the rules again in context of your answer to my previous question (https://www.pegforum.com/forum/offic...close-quarters) and I'm at a loss to what that means with regards to melee combat in general.

In SWDeluxe, p. 67, the way the text is placed it seems that the "Illumination" modifiers are listed the same way as "Firing Blind", "Cover", and "Rate of Fire", so as sub-headings od "Ranged Attacks" - unlike "Bonus Damage" it is not repeated in the "Melee Attacks" section. This suggests to me, that Illumination penalties do not apply to Melee attacks, which means that only locating the enemy is an issue when fighting in the dark, while hitting them is as difficult as ever (presumably because darkness makes it as difficult to parry as it makes it to hit someone).

Am I correct in my assumption, that the intent of the rules is to not penalise melee combatants fighting in poorly illuminated conditions?

Originally posted by Fnorder View Post
    So, I've been looking over the rules again in context of your answer to my previous question (https://www.pegforum.com/forum/offic...close-quarters) and I'm at a loss to what that means with regards to melee combat in general.

In SWDeluxe, p. 67, the way the text is placed it seems that the "Illumination" modifiers are listed the same way as "Firing Blind", "Cover", and "Rate of Fire", so as sub-headings od "Ranged Attacks" - unlike "Bonus Damage" it is not repeated in the "Melee Attacks" section. This suggests to me, that Illumination penalties do not apply to Melee attacks, which means that only locating the enemy is an issue when fighting in the dark, while hitting them is as difficult as ever (presumably because darkness makes it as difficult to parry as it makes it to hit someone).

Am I correct in my assumption, that the intent of the rules is to not penalise melee combatants fighting in poorly illuminated conditions?
    Nope. Per the original answer <italics added>, "Basically, yeah, the penalty would apply to attacks in close combat because many times those would be the only attacks even possible."

That's any attack in close combat, melee or ranged.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X