A question about EMP grenades

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about EMP grenades

EMP grenades in the Sci-fi companion say they work by doing 3d6 non lethal damage direct the toughness of constructs, Power Armour or shielded devices (I'm assuming we are talking about forcefields here??).

For a construct or a forcefield this make sense as they are the electronics, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something for the Power Armour? Is this supposed to be doing non lethal damage to the pilot of the power armour, IE like a stun grenade that could just knock them out? Or is it supposed to be doing damage to the armour itself using some rule for damaging power armours I have missed, as I thought they were treated just like body armour?

Thank you

Originally posted by Maelgwyn View Post
    EMP grenades in the Sci-fi companion say they work by doing 3d6 non lethal damage direct the toughness of constructs, Power Armour or shielded devices (I'm assuming we are talking about forcefields here??).
    Nope on the forcefields. An electronic device can be designed to be shielded against EPM (often military electronics are). If a device isn't designed that way, then an EMP simply knocks it out, no roll at all.

Originally posted by Maelgwyn View Post
    For a construct or a forcefield this make sense as they are the electronics, but I'm not sure if I'm missing something for the Power Armour? Is this supposed to be doing non lethal damage to the pilot of the power armour, IE like a stun grenade that could just knock them out? Or is it supposed to be doing damage to the armour itself using some rule for damaging power armours I have missed, as I thought they were treated just like body armour?
    Any item can be broken, see Breaking Things in the core rules. An EMP is able to break an item if it's electronic and power armor is electronic. So for it or any electronic item that would not instantly be affected, the damage would be rolled against its base Toughness using those rules. The base Toughness would be determined by the GM based on the specific item and likely its particular design in that setting. For instance, power armor designed for industrial use would have a lower base Toughness than power armor for military use. And power armor in a Xenomorph campaign may not be as tough as power armor in a BattleMech game setting which focuses more on it (and Walkers).

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X