Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAP and Free Actions

Do free actions suffer from MAP?
    Generally irrelevant, since most free actions don't require Trait rolls, but can matter a great deal when making Agility rolls to quick draw weapons or Faith rolls to activate Adept powers.

The core rules imply that they would suffer MAP, since they are Trait rolls made during a round when the character took multiple actions. This is further supported, directly and indirectly, by a number of answers on the old forum (here, here, and here, to choose a few).

However, as was pointed out in one of the "I hope the next edition clarifies [x]" threads, this answer seems to indicate that Free Actions never suffer MAP. Despite casting a spell, running, kicking sand in a face, and firing two guns, the Agility roll to quick draw the weapons would be at no penalty; or that's what you implied.

So, I'm asking: Are free actions subject to MAP, assuming that a Trait roll is required for the action and that the character is taking enough other actions to generate MAP that turn?
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
    Do free actions suffer from MAP?
    Nope.

Generally irrelevant, since most free actions don't require Trait rolls, but can matter a great deal when making Agility rolls to quick draw weapons or Faith rolls to activate Adept powers.

The core rules imply that they would suffer MAP, since they are Trait rolls made during a round when the character took multiple actions. This is further supported, directly and indirectly, by a number of answers on the old forum (here, here, and here, to choose a few).
    Sorry, I don't see where any of those posts directly or indirectly support free actions suffering MAPs, and in fact, one case (the last one) includes this <italics added>, " the only reference I can give is the Quick Draw Edge which specifically makes drawing a weapon a "free action." In that case, it neither inflicts nor suffers MAPs" which both references Quick Draw and directly states the opposite that free actions do not suffer MAPs.

However, as was pointed out in one of the "I hope the next edition clarifies [x]" threads, this answer seems to indicate that Free Actions never suffer MAP. Despite casting a spell, running, kicking sand in a face, and firing two guns, the Agility roll to quick draw the weapons would be at no penalty; or that's what you implied.
    To go back to that third post linked above, "...but to be clear, that doesn't mean it couldn't suffer situational penalties because other actions are performed.

For example, if a character with Quick Draw was trying to get a pistol out of an ankle holster while performing another action. He may suffer no penalty if his other action is a Test of Will, but if his other action is Running, he likely would suffer a penalty for trying to draw a weapon off his ankle at the same time."

So it's similar to the case of only being able to use one hand for one action. For instance, if casting the spell required a free hand, then the example would mean the character could not fire two guns since that would be using one hand twice for different actions. This is more of an instance where situationally a specific action by its nature may not make another impossible but would make it harder.

Hope that makes more sense and clarifies.

So, I'm asking: Are free actions subject to MAP, assuming that a Trait roll is required for the action and that the character is taking enough other actions to generate MAP that turn?
    Still nope.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X