Gimmick Vs. Requries Activation + Slow to Activate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gimmick Vs. Requries Activation + Slow to Activate

So I'm pretty news to savage worlds and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I recently picked up the Super Powers Companion book and decided to make a character (I Normally GM due to being the most experienced with TTRPG's).

My source material and the hero I'm trying to recreate in this game is a Kamen Rider. For those who don't know what that is just think of a Power Ranger. So the first thing that caught my eye was the Hindrance:: Gimmick. Most of the time these hero's need to equip a belt and then perform an hand movement or two to materialize their weapons and armor. So far so good. I took this to give me +10 PP through Super Karma (Four Colored Power Setting)

But then I saw the generic modifiers for the powers. Specifically Require Activation (RA) and Slow to Activate (StA) which states that if all of the Supers powers are StA they should use Gimmick instead.

My problem is that Gimmick basically duplicated both the RA AND StA in terms of effect meaning that 1. The Hero's powers require you to activate them in some way AND that it requires you to spend an action to do so.

If true then it makes more sense to simple take modifers for a base form, lets say the Armor with StA, RA, and Device (Belt Transformation Sequence), and then apply the Contingent (Armor must be on) and either the RA (use small item to summon tiger claws or grasshopper legs) or Device modifier (Sword with for Melee Attack) for all the other powers. With each new power lets say for example following powers: Melee Attack, Senses, Leaping, Armor, Toughness, Parry, Extra Action, Super Skill, and Super Attribute I would end up with -18 PP (-2 per power) vs the +10 I got from Gimmick/Super Karma. (Which means that for Pulp and Street Fighters Super Karma makes even less sense since they only get +5PP from Super Karma)

I really like the idea of the Gimmick Hindrance but if I'm reading this correctly it makes more sense to use modifiers to gain more power points that way. I understand that Hindrances aren't used soley for the purpose of getting Super Karma, but since this Hindrance basically replicates two of the modifiers it seems to make more sense that way.

Can someone help me out I'd really like to make this character as close to the source material as possible. He isn't very powerful but he would use a lot of these modifiers so I'm not sure which one to take.
    Last edited by Sai6dude; 08-30-2018, 12:38 AM.

Originally posted by Sai6dude View Post
    So I'm pretty news to savage worlds and I've been having a lot of fun with it. I recently picked up the Super Powers Companion book and decided to make a character (I Normally GM due to being the most experienced with TTRPG's).

My source material and the hero I'm trying to recreate in this game is a Kamen Rider. For those who don't know what that is just think of a Power Ranger. So the first thing that caught my eye was the Hindrance:: Gimmick. Most of the time these hero's need to equip a belt and then perform an hand movement or two to materialize their weapons and armor. So far so good. I took this to give me +10 PP through Super Karma (Four Colored Power Setting)

But then I saw the generic modifiers for the powers. Specifically Require Activation (RA) and Slow to Activate (StA) which states that if all of the Supers powers are StA they should use Gimmick instead.

My problem is that Gimmick basically duplicated both the RA AND StA in terms of effect meaning that 1. The Hero's powers require you to activate them in some way AND that it requires you to spend an action to do so.

If true then it makes more sense to simple take modifers for a base form, lets say the Armor with StA, RA, and Device (Belt Transformation Sequence), and then apply the Contingent (Armor must be on) and either the RA (use small item to summon tiger claws or grasshopper legs) or Device modifier (Sword with for Melee Attack) for all the other powers. With each new power lets say for example following powers: Melee Attack, Senses, Leaping, Armor, Toughness, Parry, Extra Action, Super Skill, and Super Attribute I would end up with -18 PP (-2 per power) vs the +10 I got from Gimmick/Super Karma. (Which means that for Pulp and Street Fighters Super Karma makes even less sense since they only get +5PP from Super Karma)

I really like the idea of the Gimmick Hindrance but if I'm reading this correctly it makes more sense to use modifiers to gain more power points that way. I understand that Hindrances aren't used soley for the purpose of getting Super Karma, but since this Hindrance basically replicates two of the modifiers it seems to make more sense that way.

Can someone help me out I'd really like to make this character as close to the source material as possible. He isn't very powerful but he would use a lot of these modifiers so I'm not sure which one to take.
    First off to clarify, the Official Answers topics are only for questions on how the rules actually work and only Pinnacle folks can reply in this topic. So for a discussion and advice on the build, may want to ask in the General Chat topic.

Now, that said, there are some rule issues here. First off, none of those secondary powers listed could take Requires Activation. It can only be used for passive powers that are always on and do not require an action (of any kind) to use. An attack requires an action and even movement requires a free action, so neither could take Requires Activation.

The only modifier they could take would be Slow to Activate, but that would mean a full round to activate each individual power as opposed to one round to activate all of them.

Second, a power Contingent on a power with the Device Modifier is already subject to the Device limitation. So the only way it could get a bonus from Device was if it was worse. Meaning, a sword which is Contingent on Armor with Device (-1, hard to take away) could only get another -1 from Device (easy to take away). But if it took that same modifier without Contingent, it would get -2. In short, Contingent isn't saving any points there.

While on it, consider whether Device really applies for this character build. If the character had already activated the armor and got knocked unconscious or bound, someone can remove the belt and thus their powers if the Device Modifier is used. I'm not sure if that's accurate to the source or if (as with a Power Rangers/Sentai question on the old forums) the belt is only needed for the transformation but once transformed, it's part of the "suit" and not removable. If it can't be removed, then Device wouldn't apply.

One additional thing to be aware of is what may appear to be a certain type of Modifier per the mechanics may simply be a visual trapping of a power. For instance, if summoning a weapon or power appears to take a long period of time in the source material, but the character so doing is never attacked by a foe during that activation, the Slow to Activate wouldn't apply. It's simply a trapping that it appears to take a long time or possibly a Setting Rule if all powers work that way.

Hope that helps!

Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X