Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Natural Reach and Adjacent

The description of Reach in the Gear section states (Italics added):

Weapons with "reach" allow their user to make Fighting attacks at the listed range. <snip> Weapons without a reach value can only strike targets at arm's length (adjacent)...

There is no Reach description given in the Monstrous Abilities or any other rules on natural Reach that I could find, but you can add a natural Reach ability as part of making custom Races. Based on the language for Reach above, would a race with Reach (specifically defined as long arms) treat any enemy within their natural Reach as adjacent for the purposes of Edges like Counterattack, First Strike, and Sweep?

I know the ruling has already been made with regards to these Edges and weapons with the Reach ability, but the italicized language above throws the ruling into doubt when dealing with natural Reach.
    Last edited by MycroftHolmes; 06-15-2018, 10:07 PM.

Originally posted by MycroftHolmes View Post
    The description of Reach in the Gear section states (Italics added):

Weapons with "reach" allow their user to make Fighting attacks at the listed range. <snip> Weapons without a reach value can only strike targets at arm's length (adjacent)...

There is no Reach description given in the Monstrous Abilities or any other rules on natural Reach that I could find, but you can add a natural Reach ability as part of making custom Races. Based on the language for Reach above, would a race with Reach (specifically defined as long arms) treat any enemy within their natural Reach as adjacent for the purposes of Edges like Counterattack, First Strike, and Sweep?

I know the ruling has already been made with regards to these Edges and weapons with the Reach ability, but the italicized language above throws the ruling into doubt when dealing with natural Reach.
    Natural Reach works exactly the same. "Adjacent" is arm's length for a character without Reach, whether due to a weapon, their Race, or any effect. Basically, "adjacent" is adjacent or immediately next to something.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X