Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Common Knowledge bonus

Hello Clint.

I have a question regarding bonuses to Common Knowledge. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but I just want an official thumbs-up on this...

If a character gets a +2 to Common Knowledge (say from being very old/immortal), that bonus does not extend to Knowledge skills, correct?

Because despite it name, Common Knowledge is really a separate game mechanic from skills (it just works similar to them) that is applied for any random tidbit of information a character might have. It generally uses Smarts, but can also use Agility (for dancing) or Spirit (for a heart-warming oration).

So a +2 to Common Knowledge just means the character has had the opportunity to pick up a few things here and there, but hasn't really delved too deeply into any one specific subject. Is that about right?

Thanks.

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
    Hello Clint.

I have a question regarding bonuses to Common Knowledge. I'm pretty sure I already know the answer, but I just want an official thumbs-up on this...

If a character gets a +2 to Common Knowledge (say from being very old/immortal), that bonus does not extend to Knowledge skills, correct?

Because despite it name, Common Knowledge is really a separate game mechanic from skills (it just works similar to them) that is applied for any random tidbit of information a character might have. It generally uses Smarts, but can also use Agility (for dancing) or Spirit (for a heart-warming oration).

So a +2 to Common Knowledge just means the character has had the opportunity to pick up a few things here and there, but hasn't really delved too deeply into any one specific subject. Is that about right?
    Pretty much. The character has a better chance to access general knowledge not covered by another skill.

A character with a bit more access to specific knowledge, might have the Jack of all Trades Edge or the Gifted power from the SPC. Neither of those provide the actual skill though, just better chances at unskilled rolls. For specific skills, the character would need to put points in them (or use Super Skill from the SPC).

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X