The New Companions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The New Companions

Is there any kind of ETA on the SWADE companions? I was considering getting a physical copy sci-fi companion for my brother as a Christmas gift but don't want to get him something that will be outdated soon.

No rush if they are still far off.

According to info shared by Shane on a panel at Hollerween last weekend, it seems their plan for the updated companions is to release them one by one starting next year. It seems Fantasy will be first, followed by Supers and Horror, and the Sci Fi Companion will be last. So if they stick to this plan (be mindful that nothing is set in stone), I'm guessing the updated Sci Fi Companion won't see release until 2022, probably. If you get the book now, your brother will probably get about a year to a year and a half worth of use out of it before it becomes obsolete.
    Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 11-05-2020, 04:30 PM.
    "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

So just supers, horror, and sci-fi? No pulp or steampunk?

Comment

Originally posted by zero mostel View Post
        Steampunk is easily a sub-genre of Science Fiction. Since the new SFC will most likely include cyberware, I'd love to see a sidebar option for converting that to steamware, or clockworkware. Other elements of steampunk can potentially be covered by Fantasy.

Pulp is a very broad field that includes anything from murder mysteries to Indiana Jones to cheap horror. The core rules handle Pulp very well. No need for a Companion. Was there anything in particular you wanted to see?

Comment

Originally posted by zero mostel View Post
          The only new companion they announced is the Martial Arts Companion, but they already said it will only come out after the updated editions to the four we already know have been released.

Honestly, I think there isn't much in terms of mechanics and rules options that the corebook doesn't already cover when it comes to Pulp, and stuff like genre tropes, archetypes and a timeline of world events of the 20s to the 40s can already be found in a bunch of pulp settings out there. And personally, I feel steampunk would be better served by setting books with specific lore to back it up than by a generic companion.
          "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

Working...
          X