Fate pot

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fate pot

I'm running a Deadlands classic game with the 20th Anniversary book. The question I have is; how often should you rest the Fate Pot back to the starting number of chips(excluding Legend Chips)? Over the course of several games, with players cashing in earned chips, the balance begins to get thrown off and the total number of chips increases.

I suppose I should post this in the correct forum. Sorry, new here
    Last edited by tallpaleandmoody; 10-09-2017, 07:46 PM.

Not a big deal, especially with the response speed the Official Answers have been getting lately.

In short, you don't.
    The Fate Pot is a "living" thing, with the current number and balance of Chips determined by what the players have drawn and added (or refused to add). This is why players record their current chips at the end of the session, and draw those before drawing new chips (Fate, page 145).
    If the Pot runs dry then no one gets to draw Chips until they start going back in. That's why players are capped at 10 chips (The Limit, page 146), players are encouraged to spend chips for Bounty Points(Calling on Fate, page 146), and the Marshal should be ready to spend fairly liberally for the various non-player characters.
    The only reason you should have all 85 chips back in the Fate Pot, during a session, is that everyone (posse and marshal) spent all of their Fate Chips. And the only reason you should ever have more than 85 chips in the Fate Pot is because they've earned one or more Legend chips, and haven't managed to permanently remove them yet.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

But as I award chips for various things such as role play, plot completion, discoveries, etc, those chips (Not counting Legend chips) come into play from outside of the initial pot, then when cashed in, either for bounty or benefit, it adds to the initial 85

Comment

Huh? Why are you adding chips to the Fate economy?
        What made you think that Bounty rewards came from outside the Fate Pot?

Edit: Re-reading the relevant sections, I can see that nothing says that bounty rewards come from the Fate Pot. But I don't get how you went from that to "add more Chips to the Pot".

Edit: I thought the old forums talked about this. http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopi...460804#p460804
        Last edited by ValhallaGH; 10-10-2017, 12:05 AM.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I adjusted the post in the Official Answers topic to account for Fate Chip awards. They do indeed come from the pot.
          Clint Black
          Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
          Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
          X