Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big List of Stuff to Fix—Chapter 3, Part 1 (Page 88–101)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big List of Stuff to Fix—Chapter 3, Part 1 (Page 88–101)

Continued from previous lists: Chapter 1 (Part 1 and Part 2) and Chapter 2 (Part 1 and Part 2).

Bonus Thing from Chapter 1:
    Page 43: Marksman and Aim seem to apply against the same targets, but “cover” isn’t capitalized under Marksman while it is under Aim. Should Marksman read “Cover” or should Aim read “cover”?
    Page 48: Athletics isn’t rolled for Evasion; that’s an Agility roll. Should Acrobat allow for an Agility Reroll when Evading an AoE attack?

Onto Chapter 3!
    Page 88: A small thing, but if someone is reading through the book page-by-page, The Wild Die is listed before Aces on Page 88. However, the Wild Die section mentions Acing as though it were an established principle when it’s not actually explained until the following section. Swapping The Wild Die and Aces helps this, but I’m guessing they’re formatted this way so their examples both make more sense. Instead, consider changing the last sentence of The Wild Die’s first paragraph to “Both of these dice can Ace (see below).” There’s enough space on that line that it shouldn’t cause formatting issues.
    Page 89: Group rolls currently work with Wild Cards. This isn’t an intrinsically bad thing, but it was far simpler when it only worked with Extras. For a group roll with Wild Cards involved, the Skills in question will probably be vastly different; do you establish an average value or take the highest/lowest? If the roll fails, who spends a Benny to try again? Personally if there aren’t very easy ways to answer those questions and make this flow well I’d much prefer keeping group rolls as an Extras-only tool and keep my Wild Cards rolling Stealth separately.
    Page 89: Bennies are listed to be Free Actions; this implies that they can only be spent on that character’s turn, but rerolling opposed rolls, recovering from Shaken, Soaking, and drawing new cards can all be done before or after your turn has completed. It might be better to say that bennies can be spent when appropriate without penalty.
    Jumping Note (Page 93): Vertical jumping feels a bit high with an Athletics roll, at least as written. With a running start (1”) and a raise (+2”) someone can jump 18 feet into the air; the world record is currently 8 feet. I’d recommend a minor rewrite. Change the third sentence to say “If the hero chooses, she may make an Athletics roll as an action to increase her horizontal distance by 1″ (2″ with a raise), or half that vertically.” A character with a raise on an Athletics roll to jump can still easily clear the vertical world record by a country mile, but it’s slightly more tempered.
    Rate of Fire Table Note (Page 93): Not an error, but I find it strange that ever RoF after 2 doubles the previous (5, 10, 20, 40) but RoF 6 only increases it to 50 instead of raising it up to 80. Personally I think increasing it to 80 would be both both easier to remember and more consistent with the table’s progression—using Rapid Fire with a RoF 4 weapon uses 20 extra bullets per action, but with a RoF 5 weapon it only uses 10 extra? That feels weird to me.
    Page 96: It’s stated that a Critical Failure that would cause a victim to become Incapacitated could lead to death; if a character is already Incapacitated during natural healing and then rolls a Critical Failure, does this effect still happen, or is it only if the Crit Fail causes Incapacitation? If the former, then the language should be cleaned up to clarify.
    Page 96: Does a character Supporting Natural Healing suffer the patient’s wound penalties on his Healing or Survival roll?
    Page 97: On Page 43, Marksman was changed to negate penalties from Speed. Should Aim do the same?
    Page 97: Couple of weird grammar things under Area Effect Attacks. With Cone Templates, “Those beneath are hit, or may Evade, page 100, if the attack allows it.” Consider putting “page 100” in parentheses, rather than between commas, like “or may Evade (page 100) if the attack allows it.” In the following paragraph’s final sentence, you can remove the comma after “Deviation.”
    Page 97: Under Templates Without Miniatures, the second paragraph is missing the word “use.” “The GM can also the Targets Affected column…”
    Breaking Free From a Foe Note (Page 98): A small thing, but tricking, distracting, or Shaking an enemy grappler to get them to end the grapple is a huge trope in movies (one such example off the top of my head). A Shaken grappler being forced to end their hold (or even just forcing a Vigor or Spirit roll to keep the grapple going) seems like a good thing to allow.
    Page 98: Under Breaking Things, it may be worth noting that “wielder’s Parry/2 if motionless” rule applies to Fighting rolls only; Shooting and similar attacks still require TN 4 and suffer the usual Scale penalties.
    Breaking Things Note (Page 98): If an attack doesn’t break an object on the first try, character’s aren’t allowed to try again; this means a character attempting to knock down a door either has to do it in one hit or fails for the encounter, instead of failing for the round and being able to continue trying the following round. Same with a character attempting to break from chains or handcuffs; previously—if they’re really strong—they might be able to manage it after a few rounds of struggling, but that’s no longer an option. Might be worth removing this, or at least leaving it up to GM’s discretion as to what can be tried for a few rounds and what only gets one shot.
    Page 98–99: The second and third paragraph of Called Shots is a bit confusing. You might consider rewriting those as follows:
    The modifier to the attack roll depends on the Scale of the target itself (not the creature it’s part of)—see page 106 for more information.
    Below are the usual penalties (listed in parentheses) and effects for common Called Shots against Normal Scale creatures:
    Head or Vitals Note (Page 99): It’s listed that attacking someone’s face in an open-faced helmet is a –6 penalty. This is… odd, as that’s the same penalty for attacking the eye slit of a helmet, which is a much smaller opening than an open-faced helmet. Consider decreasing the penalty for an open-faced helmet (–5 maybe?), increasing the penalty for armor gaps and eye slits (perhaps –8), or decreasing the penalty to hit a head to –2 and hitting an open face to –4 (while very powerful, the human head is about twice as large as a hand, so the math checks out there).
    Page 99: Under Obstacles, it may be worth a sentence or paragraph stating that a character can only score a raise if he rolls a total of 8 after all modifiers. Example: Shooting a pistol with a roll of 9 against a target in behind a door (Heavy Cover, –6) isn’t a raise, even though it would have hit through the door. A character would need to roll a 10 (total of 4) to bypass the Cover, or 14 (total of 8) to score a raise against the target.
    Page 101: Under Free Attacks, does this preclude a character from taking Called Shots?
    Page 101: The grappling rewrite is fantastic! It should work very well in any setting and still emphasizes Skill above raw power. There are only two things that currently stand out to me. Under Brute Strength, it says “As with attacks, the smaller creature adds the difference between itself and the larger creature’s Scale (but still can’t grapple something much larger than itself as described under Size Matters). The larger creature subtracts the difference from its roll if using Strength.” These sentences are unclear to me. Does the smaller creature add its Scale difference to its roll, while the larger also subtracts this value if using its Strength? Does the larger creature apply the scale penalty only when using its Strength? Does a smaller creature add its Scale bonus when attempting to grapple, or only when avoiding a grapple (and does this apply to both Athletics and Brute Strength or just one of the two)? If the intent is that grapplers suffer penalties from Scale, speed, Combat Acrobat, and other such sources, it might be more clear to simply state that the “attacker” suffers the usual penalties for Scale and other attack penalties.
    Grappling Note (Page 101): The second problem that strikes me is that a grappler with sufficiently high Strength (think d12+4 and up) can easily use Brute Strength to establish their grapple, even against characters which are highly skilled, agile, slippery, or vastly smaller than them. A Super Powers Companion giant monster, with a d12+15 Strength, can easily grapple a cat-sized target even with the –12 to his Strength roll, and a God of Thunder (d12+8 Strength) could easily grapple the slippery Beast Man (d12 Athletics), even if he shapeshifted into a much smaller creature. An easy fix to this would be to state that the “attacker” may only use Brute Strength if the “defender” is going to resist with Brute Strength instead of Athletics; the defender can still break out with Brute Strength if the attacker is attempting to hold him with Athletics. This change allows further emphasizing the skill involved in grappling (which appears to be the goal with the SWADE rules) while continuing to allow the rules to scale with much larger or smaller grapplers. Both of these are minor problems and I think that last bit of spit-polish pretty much perfects Grappling for the next generation of Savaging.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Agreed with most of your comments and made those changes...some other alterations already made affect some others.

Thanks

Comment

Working...
    X