Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Big List of Stuff to Fix—Chapter 1, Part 1 (Page 1–42)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Big List of Stuff to Fix—Chapter 1, Part 1 (Page 1–42)

I’m working through one final combing through the PDF to find everything I can that’s wrong, could use clarification, or seems problematic (mostly small issues; any more major issues will see their own post somewhere).

I’ve also seeded a number of “design notes” that aren’t necessarily errors but could be worth consideration or pondering. I know this round is primarily for catching rules errors and typos but a few of these could use an extra sentence or two of polish to bring it up to snuff.

Page 10: “Celestials (page 20) start with a d6 in Faith…” The page marker does not link to page 20.
    Page 11: “Toughness is your hero’s damage threshold. Damage rolls that equal or exceed this number cause Wounds (explained later in Chapter Three).” Damage that equals Toughness doesn’t cause a Wound, only Shaken.
    Page 16: The Rakashans' Can’t Swim has an incorrect effect. “They subtract 2 from Athletics (swimming) rolls and each tabletop inch of movement in water uses 2″ of Pace.” That’s normal swimming Pace; they should only be able to swim ½” per round.
    Page 18: “Claws” are listed before “Burrowing” when alphabetically they should be listed after.
    Page 18: Under Burrowing: “The species developed underground.” seems like an unnecessary inclusion; I feel that could be omitted safely.
    Environmental Resistance Note (Page 19): I think someone else brought this up, so a quick reiteration. I feel like the bonus should also act as a Toughness bonus rather than Armor; it feels strange for a creature resistant to fire to have his resistance overcome by a mage spending a Power Point for AP.
    Horns Note (Page 19): It’s surprising to me that horns can’t increase their damage to Str+d6 similar to Claws. That might be worth implementing.
    Page 19: Can races with flight “sprint” with their flying Pace per the rules on Page 92 (double Pace + running maximum)?
    Flight Note (Page 19): Flight seems a bit cheap, especially for how impressive its mobility is. You can fly—ignoring all verticality and terrain modifiers—faster than most can run for only 2 points. For 6 points, you can now fly faster than most can sprint (and can “run” faster than any other mode of biological transport). When compared to similar flight or speed in the Super Powers Companion (2 points to fly at Pace, 4 for Pace 12 and no running). Even simply compared to Pace later in the same page, 2 points can increase ground Pace to 8 (d8 Running), but this is still limited to horizontal movement rather than unbridled verticality. I know one major downside is that characters which are Bound or Entangled are unable to fly at all, but that doesn’t feel like it makes up for the difference there (especially as normal ground-bound creatures can’t move while Bound either).
    Leaping Note (Page 19): The effect of the Leaping ability from the Science Fiction Companion is missed here (and more appropriate for some races than the Wild Attack bonus). Consider adding a variable modification here, similar to Claws. 1 base point to double jump distance, 1 point to add +1d6” instead of +1”/+2” with an Athletics roll, and 1 point to add the extra +2 damage with Wild Attacks.
    Page 19: Does Regeneration have any special interactions with Fast Healer (Page 39)?
    Regeneration Note (Page 19): This seems to have lost its variant from Flash Gordon/Rifts, where for an additional point Permanent Injuries healed in 1d6 days; that was a neat addition and it’s sad to see it go.
    Page 20: Under Cannot Speak, it’s noted that other races can’t speak the language; can other races understand them with the proper language training (think sort of a Chewbacca/Han Solo kind of situation)?
    Page 23: Can’t Swim links readers to Movement on Page 92; however, swimming (and drowning) is explained in far greater detail on Page 126. It may be a good idea to link to the section on Drowning, rather than Movement specifically.
    Habit Note (Page 24): Major Habit states that after one Healing roll to abate the addiction symptoms, the Fatigue level returns and can only be treated by abusing the substance again. This implies that after a single instance of some kind of “drug therapy” (which only lasts for 4 hours), the character cannot benefit from it again and has to return to his substance abuse, and does not prevent taking a further level of Fatigue. This isn’t necessarily a bad effect for an addict Hindrance, but it strikes me that instead of a hard limit, maybe Healing rolls should be limited per day, or perhaps have diminishing returns (cumulative –1 penalty for every attempt tried), and maybe stave off a character’s Exhaustion for the day—if the final effect is considered without the Healing penalties over time, it might be worth noting that it can only be attempted when a character is already suffering from withdrawal Fatigue so as not to keep them from needing their substance at all with a halfway competent healer.
    Page 24/26: With the loss of the Charisma penalty, the distinction between Minor Habit and Quirk seems to have mostly disappeared. My understanding is that Habits are simply supposed to be irritating or constant, while Quirks require either a pointless/potentially dangerous action (a buddy of mine played a character that just had to taste test every potion we got our hands on) or an aversion to certain social norms (as noted by the débutante’s classist attitude in the Hindrance) with a detriment beyond simply being annoying, but as written the difference is hard to tell, especially as the dwarf example under Quirk is just constantly doing something irritating—even the Hindrance summary (Page 57) states that the quirk is mostly there to annoy others. It might be worth rewriting Quirk and its summary to a bit clearer as to what the differences are supposed to be.
    Slow Note (Page 27): It appears that the Ultralight Wheelchair is strictly better than the Powered Wheelchair due to its ability to “run” and without requiring a charge. It might be worth simply stating that all wheelchairs move at half Pace on uneven ground (round up), and that the Ultralight wheelchair moves at half Athletics with no max Pace (or at Athletics with max Pace 6) and can run (in contrast with the Manual chair which has a max Pace and cannot run). This means that the Powered chair is better in its consistency while the Ultralight chair has more potential flexibility and may be better for high Athletics characters.
    Page 29: Interesting to note, Agility’s description on this page is shorter than in its Trait summary on page 58. Not necessarily a problem, just an observation.
    Page 30: The “Trait Changes in this Edition of Savage Worlds” talks about making converting from older editions to the Adventure Edition. I feel like it would be beneficial to note here that a full “conversion guide” will be (or “is”, by the time this makes it to print) available on the PEG website.
    Page 31: Under Hacking, the meaning of “Hacking during a Dramatic Task is a single action that represents one step in the overall operation” is unclear, since Dramatic Tasks are always performed as single operations. Does this mean that Hacking shouldn’t be used for multiple rolls in Dramatic Tasks? Or was this referring instead to Quick Encounters? It might be worth omission.
    Page 35: Under Sneak Attacks, if a character achieves a raise the victim is left Vulnerable. Presumably, this lasts only for the first attack against the victim, but this isn’t entirely clear (a party might, for example, send the thief in, make a guard Vulnerable, and then have their mage cast a power on him to benefit from Vulnerable). This might be worth clarifying.
    Berserk Note (Page 38): This is pretty well-realized overall, and the ability to voluntarily fail brings it a little more in line with other Edges, but it still feels a little weak. The +2 Toughness and ignoring a Wound penalty prices as a +4 ability, but the need to take damage to activate the ability (–1), the inability to do anything requiring wit or concentration (–1 or –2), and the need to make a Smarts roll at –2 as an action to end the effect during combat (–1), makes the Edge a little less attractive. It may be worth bringing back the +2 to Strength rolls (helps with breaking free from entangling devices, Brute Strength grappling, resisting disarm, pushing, resisting certain powers), even if that bonus only applied to Trait rolls and not to damage.
    Page 40: The language of Quick makes it out to be optional (which allows quick characters to make use of the Calculating Edge). This is a positive, but the Edge Summary on Page 59 should be changed to indicate that characters can redraw Action cards below Six, rather than saying that Actions cards must be higher than Five. If it is intended to be required (i.e. a character can’t draw below 5 even if he wants to), the language should be altered before sending off to print.
    Page 40: The effect of Block and Improved Block differs from its effect in the Combat Edges Summary (Page 60).
    Block Note (Page 40): I’ve noted this in this thread, but Block and Improved Block should probably match up with its effect in the Summary Table, noting that characters ignore one/two points of Gang Up bonus and the maximum bonus is reduced accordingly. Otherwise, characters won’t see any benefit from the Block Edge without fighting at least 5 enemies at once, which I don’t think I’ve ever seen happen in a Savage Worlds game, or at least never intentionally.
    Page 42: First Strike should read “immediately after he moves into Reach” instead of “within Reach,” to avoid situations where characters moving around within the area of a high-Reach weapon prompts a First Strike attack.
    Page 42: Free Runner references Chases; it should direct to Page 113 instead of Page 122.
    Join the Unofficial Savage Worlds Discord!

My thoughts, musings, and general character adaptations on Savage Everything.

Most of these have now been addressed. Thanks

Comment

Working...
    X