[Classic] Questions on concentrations and Nerves O' Steel

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Classic] Questions on concentrations and Nerves O' Steel

I have two rule questions that aren't related. I figure it would be easier to have them both in a single topic. Let me know if it preferred to have one question per topic. The Classic Deadlands game I'm in is still going so I'm sure more questions is going to come up.

1. It says Academia and Science concentrations are rarely related. Does that mean the learning an additional concentration for a flat 3 Bounty Points is not applicable or do it mean you can't use one concentration in place of another at a -4? Or Both?

2. If a character failed a terrifying guts check and gets the Weak in the Knees result, do he still need to make a guts check to do anything if he has Nerves O' Steel? It seems that the guts check is apart of the running away effect. And if he does have to make that guts check, is at -2 or does that penalty only kick in after making the guts check?

Originally posted by Vadth View Post
    I have two rule questions that aren't related. I figure it would be easier to have them both in a single topic. Let me know if it preferred to have one question per topic. The Classic Deadlands game I'm in is still going so I'm sure more questions is going to come up.

1. It says Academia and Science concentrations are rarely related. Does that mean the learning an additional concentration for a flat 3 Bounty Points is not applicable or do it mean you can't use one concentration in place of another at a -4? Or Both?
    Related skills only affect unskilled checks, so an unrelated concentration can't be rolled at -4 in place of another. It doesn't impact cost at all, it costs 3 Bounty Points to get a new concentration whether related or not.

Originally posted by Vadth View Post
    2. If a character failed a terrifying guts check and gets the Weak in the Knees result, do he still need to make a guts check to do anything if he has Nerves O' Steel? It seems that the guts check is apart of the running away effect. And if he does have to make that guts check, is at -2 or does that penalty only kick in after making the guts check?
    Per the Edge <italics added>, "Whenever the character fails a guts check and is forced to flee, the character can choose to stand his ground instead. He still suffers any other penalties, however."

So the effect of the Edge is to only not be forced to flee and every other effect still applies. Meaning, yep, the character has to make the Guts check to be able to do anything else. And like the other -2 penalties, the one for Weak in the Knees kicks in with the original failed Guts check, meaning it does apply to any afterwards, including any follow-up Guts checks to act.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X