[DLR] Tai Chi

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DLR] Tai Chi

Recently one of my players brought in a Martial Artist type to my game. Little did I know that Tai Chi allows a massive advantage for the player - every time he hits or gets a raise the target gets knocked back 1d4". What bothers me is that there is no 'saving' roll for the target. He just gets blasted backwards. Shouldn't this be a opposed roll or something?

Originally posted by Sgain View Post
    Recently one of my players brought in a Martial Artist type to my game. Little did I know that Tai Chi allows a massive advantage for the player - every time he hits or gets a raise the target gets knocked back 1d4". What bothers me is that there is no 'saving' roll for the target. He just gets blasted backwards. Shouldn't this be a opposed roll or something?
    It's a Fighting attack, so the character has to meet the target's Parry. Parry is essentially the average of a Fighting skill roll + 1, so in a way, it's better than an opposed roll. And a character could use the Full Defense maneuver to actually roll Fighting to potentially get a higher TN (or Defend for a flat +2 to Parry).

Do be sure the character is using the Martial Arts Edge from Deadlands and not the Martial Artist Edge from the core rule book. Tai Chi require 3 Edges to achieve but it doesn't grant any additional unarmed damage, so if the character hits with a Fighting attack, the foe may be knocked back but they only take the single Strength die in damage (and no Wild Die since it's a damage roll). Also note the Shaken from a knocked back character hitting a wall or solid object can't cause a wound, so it's not a damaging attack. Meaning if the attack damage caused the target to be Shaken, hitting a wall doesn't stack to cause a wound.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X