Rattler grappling clarification

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rattler grappling clarification

My group ran into a Rattler yesterday, and I would like to know if I understand their tentacle ability right.

Lets assume it tries to grapple a human sized enemy:
    The tentacle rolls strength at -2 to grapple, as with the rattler's massive strength, that is a superior choice to athletics.
    It gets a +2 for the tentacle grappling bonus as described in the core rules.
    It gets a -2 for scale difference, as rattler tentacles can cancel out 4 of those.

With the rattler's strength of d12+9, their grappling roll still totals out at d12+7, which is extremely hard to avoid, especially since it can do this 4 times as a single action if I understand correctly.

Then if we move on to actually try and bite the target the next turn, I imagine scale modifiers still apply, since the biting doesn't mention otherwise?

I understand that Rattler are obviously supposed to be very fearsome foes, to be ran away from rather than fought, but this still seems kind of extreme.
    Maybe the tentacles are only suppose to grapple with athletics, which would just end up as their d8 in Athletics after all modifiers?

Please tell me if I made any mistakes anywhere, or if I misunderstood any of the rules.

Originally posted by TheSardele View Post
    My group ran into a Rattler yesterday, and I would like to know if I understand their tentacle ability right.

Lets assume it tries to grapple a human sized enemy:
    The tentacle rolls strength at -2 to grapple, as with the rattler's massive strength, that is a superior choice to athletics.
    It gets a +2 for the tentacle grappling bonus as described in the core rules.
    It gets a -2 for scale difference, as rattler tentacles can cancel out 4 of those.

With the rattler's strength of d12+9, their grappling roll still totals out at d12+7, which is extremely hard to avoid, especially since it can do this 4 times as a single action if I understand correctly.

Then if we move on to actually try and bite the target the next turn, I imagine scale modifiers still apply, since the biting doesn't mention otherwise?

I understand that Rattler are obviously supposed to be very fearsome foes, to be ran away from rather than fought, but this still seems kind of extreme.
    Maybe the tentacles are only suppose to grapple with athletics, which would just end up as their d8 in Athletics after all modifiers?

Please tell me if I made any mistakes anywhere, or if I misunderstood any of the rules.
    Per Grappling in SWADE, "Grappling is an opposed roll between the attacker and defender’s Athletics."

Strength can be rolled at –2 to maintain or break free of a grapple, but it's not an option for initiating one.

So being grappled by a Rattler is pretty much a straight roll of Athletics vs. Athletics.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X