Shooting and Moving while riding a horse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shooting and Moving while riding a horse

We started Deadlands The Wild West game and few questions pop-up during the last session:
    1. Does shooting while riding a horse have special rules as the one that concerns Fighting during mounted combat (p.103 on SWDE Rulebook)? My decision when this question occurs is that shooting is not impeded by this rule.
    2. What is the pace on which mounted character moves? I assume this is the mount's pace and if there is check to be made for Run or some other movement-related thing - this is Riding for the check and mount's Run dice if different than d6.
    3. If the mount is trained to fight, does this happen as action completely separate from those of the rider? I.e. no multi-action penalties, this is what I ruled out.
    4. If the rider/mount is engaged with melee opponent such as fiendish coyote or something, can the rider shoot back with RIFLE from the mount? I ruled no, because even though the mount is giving a bit of space, the beast is trying to get the mount or the rider, therefore using this clunky stick is not as easy as the pistol, as per the Ranged Weapons in Melee rule on page 104.

Originally posted by Valyar View Post
    We started Deadlands The Wild West game and few questions pop-up during the last session:
    Does shooting while riding a horse have special rules as the one that concerns Fighting during mounted combat (p.103 on SWDE Rulebook)? My decision when this question occurs is that shooting is not impeded by this rule.
    The Unstable Platform penalty applies to Shooting from the back of a horse. See page 109 of SWADE.

Also check out the Steady Hands Edge on page 44.

What is the pace on which mounted character moves? I assume this is the mount's pace and if there is check to be made for Run or some other movement-related thing - this is Riding for the check and mount's Run dice if different than d6.
    A rider uses the mount's Pace.

For more detail on Riding, see this post...

https://www.pegforum.com/forum/savag...4067#post44067

If the mount is trained to fight, does this happen as action completely separate from those of the rider? I.e. no multi-action penalties, this is what I ruled out.
    Per Mounted Combat in SWADE (pg. 103), "Mounts aren’t dealt Action Cards—they act with their riders. Animals may attack any threat to their front during their rider’s action."

So, they're like an Ally, acting on the rider's Action Card. Note though, they would suffer normal penalties for their actions. Meaning if a mount is Running to get to a target, they would be at –2 to attack.

If the rider/mount is engaged with melee opponent such as fiendish coyote or something, can the rider shoot back with RIFLE from the mount? I ruled no, because even though the mount is giving a bit of space, the beast is trying to get the mount or the rider, therefore using this clunky stick is not as easy as the pistol, as per the Ranged Weapons in Melee rule on page 104.
    Typically, no. If a creature is considered adjacent enough to make a melee attack, then a larger ranged weapon would be usable (except as an Improvised Weapon perhaps).

That said, it's certainly up to the Marshal/GM to make situational calls. If a coyote (however fiendish) at Size –2 and Small is attacking someone mounted on a Size +2 Horse, then that's a significant amount of distance between them. The Marshal may allow ranged attacks with longer weapons...however, the coyote likely also gets Cover from the horse itself since it can go under and around the legs. So it may be possible but still a very hard shot with a likelihood of shooting one's own mount.

In the end, there will always be situational cases outside the "norm" of what the rules cover, and that's always the jurisdiction of the Marshal.

Hope that helps!

Comment

Working...
    X