Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[DLR] Talle Teller Legend Chip of limited use?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [DLR] Talle Teller Legend Chip of limited use?

Hi!

I've finally started my Reloaded campaign (with a rotating cast of 20 players at that!) and the first few adventures are more test drives of the rules, since I haven't played Savage Worlds before, all of my Deadlands experience was Classic and homebrew Fate variants. So I'll probably be showering kind Clint with questions now, since you guys are so great with communicating with players, much appreciated!

So what we've got to last session was a discussion about the usefulness of the Tale Teller's Legend Chip, since it would look like in Reloaded all chips are discarded after the session. So this boils down to actually two questions:

1) Since the Legend Chip is one-use but nothing says it *has* to be used on the session it's pulled from the pot, then if no-one bumps their roll, re-rolls or chooses to get XP from the Chip by the end of the session, does it go back into the pot?

2) Considering that the Tale Teller gets their additional reward usually after most of the adventure is done, is he intended to use it for XP or discard the chip, and if the latter than see no. 1)

I understand both ways of doing things - on one hand an additional Legend Chip in the pot is a big deal (especially since I'll have 6-player groups, so out of the bat (3 x 6) + 6 chips are drawn out of 35) so just giving the Teller an additional XP point for being a hero is great, on the other if they decline the immediate gratification they make the whole team stronger, so that's also in line with the heroism of Deadlands.

As a sidenote: if playing with a large rotating cast, where one common pot is used (since people will be mixing often and no set group from the pool are going to be established) would you recommend suspending the 1 XP award for the Chip, since those who "earned" the Chip will often not be the same people who benefit? That way Chips will be held on to for tough times more readily, with unused Chips continuing to improve the pot, assuming question 1)'s answer is "yes"... Any thoughts, in-house rulings for such situations?

Originally posted by Fnorder View Post
    I've finally started my Reloaded campaign (with a rotating cast of 20 players at that!) and the first few adventures are more test drives of the rules, since I haven't played Savage Worlds before, all of my Deadlands experience was Classic and homebrew Fate variants. So I'll probably be showering kind Clint with questions now, since you guys are so great with communicating with players, much appreciated!

So what we've got to last session was a discussion about the usefulness of the Tale Teller's Legend Chip, since it would look like in Reloaded all chips are discarded after the session. So this boils down to actually two questions:

1) Since the Legend Chip is one-use but nothing says it *has* to be used on the session it's pulled from the pot, then if no-one bumps their roll, re-rolls or chooses to get XP from the Chip by the end of the session, does it go back into the pot?

2) Considering that the Tale Teller gets their additional reward usually after most of the adventure is done, is he intended to use it for XP or discard the chip, and if the latter than see no. 1)
    Per the Edge <italics added>, "he gets a one-time, one-use Legend Chip all his own (it doesn’t go into the players’ pot like other Fate Chips do, it goes straight to the player)."

The Legend Chip a Tale Teller gets never goes into the pot. The character keeps it until used, even if that means they keep from from one session to the next. And like other Legend Chips, when used it's gone.

Hope that helps.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Working...
    X