Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Deadlands on Xbox Originals

Hey,

this is probably a silly question since the original announcement was years ago... but is there any chance this project isn't dead?

http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=44303
    http://archive.pegforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44288
    https://news.xbox.com/en-us/2014/04/...ginals-unveil/
    http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...e-Need-To-Know

It's super dead.

Comment

Thought so. Just never saw an "official" announcement about it, so I though I'd ask.
      Bummer, but obviously not unexpected.
      Thanks for the info.

Comment

If the rights aren't currently tied up, they could always try Netflix or Hulu.

Comment

As most of you, I'd love to see this coming to fruition, but considering the backlash the Game of Thrones showrunners have been getting for their proposed "what if the south had won the civil war" alternate history show, I think it'd be poor timing. The stuff about slavery is not something that you can handwave as easily on a show as you can on a RPG setting.
          Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 12-20-2017, 07:38 PM.
          "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

There's no slavery in Deadlands. The setting is based on the historically valid idea that to gain more active British support the south has to give up on slavery. (This was a huge problem for England, but not the only one that kept them out of the war.)

More importantly, the setting focuses on areas of the country where plantations, and the slaves needed to run them, were rare or non-existent. The settlers and miners hated slavery because it represented the wealthy land owners that would steal their land and jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by Grauenwolf View Post
              There's no slavery in Deadlands. The setting is based on the historically valid idea that to gain more active British support the south has to give up on slavery. (This was a huge problem for England, but not the only one that kept them out of the war.)
              I know. It doesn't matter that it's a historically valid idea, it's still going to be controversial. My point is that it's just a sensitive subject, no matter how well you handle it. Whatever you do, it's like opening a can of worms. A lot of people won't buy the "slavery doesn't exist anymore and racism in the south is downplayed in this version of history" angle. Also, I think the primary reason they got rid of it in Deadlands is because they didn't want people roleplaying racism and slavery, not because of historical accuracy. Fortunately, they managed to find a decent narrative excuse to support the decision.
              Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 12-21-2017, 09:26 PM.
              "Did I fire six shots, or only five? Three? Seven. Whatever." - Unkempt Harold

Comment

• Grauenwolf
                Grauenwolf commented
                Editing a comment
                People are surprisingly good at ignoring things if you allow them. The vast majority of westerns (movie or TV) make no mention of slavery one way or another. Heck, a lot of them aren't even clear if they are set before or after the civil war.

Of course you can shoot yourself in the foot by putting the slavery issue into the foreground. But really, there's no reason to when the topic is western horror.

• ValhallaGH
                ValhallaGH commented
                Editing a comment
                @Augusto Yes, it would help. Your claim isn't outrageous, but when you ascribe motives to people you damnsure better have supporting evidence. Otherwise you're behaving like an *** putting your ideas into other people's mouths, as if you were too cowardly to own your own words and too dishonest to admit that the inside of other people's heads is a mystery to you.
                Does such behavior offend me? Yes, it does. I encounter it all too often in the rest of the world, and I refuse to let it take a foothold on this wonderful forum.
                If you do change your original post then thank you for refusing to participate in such a foul behavior.

• Augusto Antunes
                Augusto Antunes commented
                Editing a comment
                Alright, sorry then. Consider the post changed.
                Last edited by Augusto Antunes; 12-21-2017, 09:29 PM.

It looks like this was resolved, but please remember going forward that we want to keep a nice, friendly forum here.
              'But I don't want to go among mad people,' Alice remarked. 'Oh, you can't help that,' said the Cat: 'we're all mad here.'

The Order of the Dice... OF DOOM!

Comment

Working...
              X