The Flood question on wording

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Flood question on wording

Below is a quote from plot point 2 of The Flood. Can anyone explain to me what the -4 applies to? I feels like it's saying the PCs have -4 to the Notice check to spot the bomb, but it says it gives her a -4, so I'm not sure. It also feels weird to so heavily penalize the Notice check here since the adventure wants and expects the PCs to see it so that they can prevent her from dropping the second bomb.

Flying overhead is Red Petals Su. She’s trying to destroy the train and aimed her first shot at the engine itself. She has one more bomb, but don’t let her destroy the train with it—have the group make Notice rolls to see it then take potshots at her auto-gyro. Her speed and size give her a -4 penalty.

The -4 is to hit Red Petals Su. Which your players will almost certainly attempt. Mine did. ....

The Ranger declared a Called Shot to hit the pilot in the head, and then used the Adventure Card that guaranteed a hit. So she crashed and that was that, until a couple of sessions later when someone played the Love Interest card for "some NPC pirate lady" for the Ranger. It took me a couple of weeks to see it, before I realized that Su was trying to track down the jerk that shot her during the train job, found the posse, and decided to seduce the insanely dangerous and fearless Ranger that she found. It worked out incredibly well (after the stalking, disguises, lies, treachery, and piles of bodies) but I do not recommend anyone intentionally try to mimic that chain of events.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• TheChemist
      TheChemist commented
      Editing a comment
      Ahh, penalty to hit. That makes much more sense. Also, that's a great story. I love when stuff like that happens.

Going to necro this a bit. Can anyone give me a breakdown of how we get to -4 to hit Su? Or, better yet, can someone give me a breakdown of what it would be in SWADE? I can't find the the speed or scale modifiers in SWEX and my calculation for SWADE puts it at 0 for scale (the gyro is size 1 and PCs are obviously size 0, so no scale modifier there) and -1 for speed (gyro has a top speed of 75MPH). Did I calculate that right?

Comment

Originally posted by TheChemist View Post
      Going to necro this a bit. Can anyone give me a breakdown of how we get to -4 to hit Su?
      The auto-gyro (player's guide, page 51) has a Top Speed of 30. The Fast Target rules (Deluxe page 100; I don't keep Explorer in casual research distance anymore) inflicts a -1 per 10" of relative speed difference, so that is a -3. I'm not sure where the additional -1 comes from, but since the adventure explicitly says that attacks on her are at -4, they are.

In Adventure Edition, the Top Speed is 75 MPH and vehicle is Size 1 (normal scale).
      Assuming a relative speed difference of 60 MPH, that's a -1 for being fast.
      Unstable Platform would be another -2 (the Good Intentions is bouncing along the rails).
      That is giving me a -3 penalty to hit Su, reduced to -1 for characters with Steady Hands.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
      X