Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Winter of Our Dismemberment: Question on wording on first check made (MINOR SPOILERS)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter of Our Dismemberment: Question on wording on first check made (MINOR SPOILERS)

Again, minor spoilers for the first of the document (I'm a little ways into a play through, and am already enjoying it):

Make a Survival check at –2. Give yourself +1 for every pound of food you had the foresight to purchase (with a maximum of +4)
    I checked, and noticed that 1 day's rations in the Deadland's book is 3 pounds (which makes sense). However, this means that as long as you have two days or more food, you're automatically guaranteed a +4 on this roll. Which, again, makes contextual sense: For me as a player, three days of food is the minimum you should leave town with, even if you're planning on living off the land. Things happen.

The issue -- and it's very minor -- is that there's a mismatch between what's being measured versus the bonuses to the roll: You're measuring in pounds something that comes only in sets of three, which means anyone not a Harrowed is going to be either -2/+1/+4 on the roll (and if I was reading right, Harrowed only need a pound of meat a day to survive, which means the original text may be more punishing against them than other players.)

Would it make more sense to have this line read more like this?

Make a Survival check at –2. Give yourself +3 (or +2 to make it more in line with the usual increments) to the roll for every day's worth of food you had the foresight to purchase (with a maximum of +4 to the roll)

Most likely this is done because you can buy meats and such by the pound in the book as well. I think I saw bacon in there.

Comment

Working...
    X