Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The final battle of the Cackler graphic novel took place in 1884?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The final battle of the Cackler graphic novel took place in 1884?

The final battle of the Cackler graphic novel took place in 1884?

To my knowledge, it was in 1882.

Edit: I misremembered. It was 1881.
    Last edited by werenimal; 07-10-2020, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Deadlands page 114:

Now it’s 1884. [...]
      The Reckoners have taken a big hit in the last few years and seem to be regrouping for a while. [...]
      Raven’s still out there somewhere. And so is Stone, the Deathly Drifter, hunting down heroes who earn the Reckoners’ ire. Hellstromme vanished into seclusion late last year, but his company and railroad are going strong. Reverend Grimme is dead for sure, but a few of his bones are said to be in the hands of his followers. [...]
      But despite all that, good was holding out. Even winning. Until the Cackler. Some of the Twilight Legion’s best men and women tracked this murderous huckster through the West as he sought some girl he called Rachel. [...]

Comment

The Cackler graphic novel is set in 1881. Says so on the first page.
        Somewhere near Tombstone, Arizona Territory, 1881.
        While some time passes during the story, it's not more than a month.

Also of note: Hank Ketchum figures prominently in the climax of the story. Which means the Cackler story happens before the events of Stone and a Hard Place. SaaHP starts in October, 1881 and runs into early 1882.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          The Cackler graphic novel is set in 1881. Says so on the first page.

While some time passes during the story, it's not more than a month.

Also of note: Hank Ketchum figures prominently in the climax of the story. Which means the Cackler story happens before the events of Stone and a Hard Place. SaaHP starts in October, 1881 and runs into early 1882.
          Yes, it must have ended in year 1882 (page 9 of the Cackler says it's now 1882) because of Hank. I only asked because the text in the Deadlands book seemed to imply it ended in 1884.

Comment

That's an easy implication to find, but it's not what the text says. The text says "It is now 1884. These things have happened previously, in Deadlands."
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
              That's an easy implication to find, but it's not what the text says. The text says "It is now 1884. These things have happened previously, in Deadlands."
              Yes, but it seems they are placed in temporal order...
              Anyway let's just keep 1882.
              Last edited by LukeZ; 07-12-2020, 06:34 PM.

Comment

Thing that happened in 1882;
                • The Standard Ghost Rock Trust is secretly created in the United States, to control multiple corporations set up by John D. Rockefeller and his associates.
                • Holborn Viaduct power station in the City of London, the world's first ghost rock-fired public electricity generating station, begins operation
                • Old West outlaw Jesse James is shot in the back of the head and killed by Robert Ford in St. Joseph, Missouri. He probably returns as a Harrowed.
                • The Chinese Exclusion Act is the first important law which restricts immigration into the United States. The viability of the act in Deadlands is debatable, given the condition of California.
                • Thomas Edison flips the switch to the first commercial electrical power plant in the United States, lighting one square mile of lower Manhattan. This is considered by many as the day that begins the electrical age.
                • Franklin Leslie shoots Billy Claiborne dead, in the streets of Tombstone, Arizona.
                • Charles J. Guiteau is found guilty of the assassination of James A. Garfield (President of the United States) and sentenced to death, despite an insanity defense raised by his lawyer. He is later hung. He might also come back as a Harrowed, albeit an insane one.

Comment

• Deskepticon
                  Deskepticon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  1882 was also the year Nikola Tesla first sketched-up plans for a brushless AC motor. I'd like to think that in this timeline it's partially ghostrock inspired.

Edison was also a huge POS in real life. When Tesla worked for him, Edison scammed he out of thousands, causing Tesla to quit, sparking the infamous feud. Edison also tortured animals with Alternating Current in public displays in an attempt to smear Tesla and his designs, and once even convinced the state of New York to execute a convicted murderer by electricuting him with AC. In short, Edison is the sort of sick-minded, greedily ambitious individual that the Reckoners would be attracted to.

It would be a wasted opportunity not to turn Edison into a minor servitor, always trying to undermine and discredit Tesla and the "safer" alternative of (ghostrock powered?) Alternating Current.

• ValhallaGH
                  ValhallaGH commented
                  Editing a comment
                  You know Edison would have had a team working on a ghostrock powered generator. As long as Tom didn't have to listen to the wails of the damned, he wouldn't care about the noise.
              Working...
              X