Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MadArchivist
    replied
    I would handle thrown dynamite using the grenade rules, specifically the cookoff rules. The time it takes for a grenade to go off is pretty equivalent to short-fused dynamite.
    Keeps the rules simple and in line with what SW is about.

Leave a comment:

• ellipses
    commented on 's reply
    Oh lord, Iā€™m so used to reading everything in SWADE in inches that my brain replaced the header on that chart. My bad.

• werenimal
    commented on 's reply
    No, that's 12 yards, which is 6" on the mat.

• ValhallaGH
    replied
    Allowing Evasion with thrown dynamite should be fine. I wouldn't allow it if someone was in the blast zone of placed and detonated dynamite.
    Originally posted by DerNils View Post
    Also, am I reading the 5-6 entry right - it says 6'' radius explosion, making it a 12'' diameter template. So you have to throw it at long range (7'') in order to not be in the blast template, right?
    Yeah, the listed blast is a 6" radius. That's a 12" diameter, which is dang large. The implication is that for throwing dynamite you want bundles of two or four sticks - five or more is for placed charges because only a Brute has a hope of accurately throwing it a safe distance. (Brute increases the range on all thrown weapons, including dynamite.)

Sorry for a late edit, but it is getting more and more confusing - What is the difference between a 6'' radius explosion and the large template? I had to look it up because I use a German Translation mostly, but in the SWADE core the LBT is 12'' diameter, so... What gives?
    A SBT has a 1" radius (2 yards). A MBT has a 2" radius (4 yards). A LBT has a 3" radius (6 yards).
    You might be getting confused by the chart on page 97 which lists the blast templates by their in-world diameters. A 12 yard diameter translates into a 6" diameter on table-top scale, or a 3" radius.

Leave a comment:

• TCArknight
    commented on 's reply
    I believe it's stated that way because of the additional sticks adding to the Radius.

• ellipses
    commented on 's reply
    No, OP is right. Pg. 97, LBT 12ā€ diameter, or 6ā€ radius.

• werenimal
    commented on 's reply
    No, a LBT is 6" diameter, 3" radius.

• DerNils
    replied
    Thanks for the replies. I may go for the multi-action thing with lighting plus throwing, just to balance it a bit. It just seems strange that you cannot evade something that is inherently better to judge than a grenade - you know, what with there being an actual, visible fuse and so on. I would also have loved a bit more uncertainty - fuses in movies are famously unreliable. So I was thinking about giving out action cards for the actual dynamite explosion, with more cards if the character rolls high on his repair skill or something.
    As is right now, I think I will just limit the availability of dynamite so it is not the go-to solution.
    Also, am I reading the 5-6 entry right - it says 6'' radius explosion, making it a 12'' diameter template. So you have to throw it at long range (7'') in order to not be in the blast template, right?
    Sorry for a late edit, but it is getting more and more confusing - What is the difference between a 6'' radius explosion and the large template? I had to look it up because I use a German Translation mostly, but in the SWADE core the LBT is 12'' diameter, so... What gives?
    Last edited by DerNils; 07-02-2020, 09:24 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ValhallaGH
    replied
    But how do I use a fuse in combat?
    Matches, typically. Light match, apply to fuse, and wait for the boom.

The real question is how do you cut a fuse short enough that the dynamite will explode this round. That's a fifth of a foot, or 12/5 inches, or 2.4 inches of fuse. Eyeballing that length seems like a Common Knowledge roll to me, though I'd require having some Repair (or appropriate background) for a character to know that.

And, as written, it is not evadable, making it better than actual grenades?
    Yeah, characters have to rely upon spotting the multiple-round timers before the last second.

It's possible this was an oversight - Evasion was the default rule in earlier versions of Savage Worlds, so the author(s) may have forgotten that it has to be explicitly included to apply.
    It's also possible that the authors wanted to make dynamite competitive with blast, an explosion that also doesn't allow Evasion.

Leave a comment:

• lunchmoney
    replied
    When does it explode? Depends how long the PC cuts the fuse.
    PC can light fuse and lob it in the same round (I'd apply multi action penalty there) or light it and lob it the next round, or light it, drop it and run away!

Leave a comment:

• DerNils
    started a topic How is Dynamite supposed to work?

How is Dynamite supposed to work?

I understand that you can throw it or set it. What I don't get is - when does it explode? I understand that you can shoot it, but that nets you only a 1 in 4 chance of getting it to explode. But how do I use a fuse in combat?
    And, as written, it is not evadable, making it better than actual grenades?
Working...
X