No announcement yet.

What about a ravenite edge for shamans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What about a ravenite edge for shamans?

in the same vein as the Ironbound Mad Scientist edge (an edge that defines the character’s background in the AB), a Ravenite Shaman edge that would let the Shaman ignore the Old Ways hindrance baked into the AB.
    the idea would be a regular Shaman would automatically take the Old Ways hindrance and would essentially get the AB for free without needing to do anything else whereas a Ravenite Shaman would be spending 2 edges to get the AB and buy off the hindrance.

what do you think?

Update: the release version of DL: WW has made the changes suggested here obsolete as the concept was to allow Shaman players more options to play the way they want, thank all of you for the input!
    Last edited by MadArchivist; 07-01-2020, 04:28 PM.

Except there aren't any ravenite shamans they have turned their backs on the spirits.

Comment

• MadArchivist
      MadArchivist commented
      Editing a comment
      I must’ve misinterpreted then, i thought there were Shamans in the Ravenite movement (obviously other than Raven himself, clearly he doesn’t count.)

• Wanderingmystic
      Wanderingmystic commented
      Editing a comment
      If there are people who are "shamans" they are unwittingly (or knowingly) using black magic as "shamanism" or else they found a way to force the spirits to work for them. For a PC ravenite I would suggest a huckster or maybe witch if they want magical powers, may e even refluffing voodoun.

Now in HoE their mad scientist communicate with technology spirits and their shamans deal with spirits of insects and pollution but I doubt those are wide spread enough to be able to grant a shame powers.

• MadArchivist
      MadArchivist commented
      Editing a comment
      that would probably work. still is rough for shamans in general, they seem underpowered even compared to blessed.

MadArchivist So what is it about shamans that makes you think th ey are worse off than blessed? Blessed get 1 ore power but to me the penalties from sinnin are alot more severe than the old ways oath. Also as a shaman you get to take the old ways oath as a major hindrance. Now if you want your character to use a gun or if you plan on alot of traveling then a shaman is not the best choice but besides that they aren't bad. Now I will agree that they are no mad scientist or huckster but both of those choices are historically have more depth.

Comment

• MadArchivist
      MadArchivist commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel that blessed have most of the benefits of shamans with substantially fewer drawbacks, the fact that shamans can’t go on trains without fatigue and a great deal of complaining while blessed can run around strapped makes it difficult to fit a shaman into a party that isn’t built around it. The penalty for sinnin’ is harsh but avoidable with relative simplicity, but getting around the west and fighting the nastier monsters it has to offer is a lot harder following the old ways than avoiding sinnin’, at least in my view.

You could always import “Spirit’s Favor” from Deadlands: Reloaded. Basically it allows the Shaman to trade Power Points for using a technological device. Obviously, you’d need to give it a different name, but no matter what route you go, I wouldn’t call the edge “Ravenite,” since they’re, you know, evil.

Also, compare the Shaman’s power list to Blessed. Between that, the lower requirements for Fetish and the new Spirit’s Favored, Shaman’s have a lot going for them. Also, don’t forget, the Spirits may frown on technology, but they’re not too picky about “Sinning” which can cause some headaches for Blessed.

Comment

Originally posted by MadArchivist View Post
      what do you think?
      Ravenites fall into two categories.
      The most benign is those that reject the Old Ways to embrace western technology and wealth - they've implicitly rejected the spirits and are no more capable of becoming shamans than a random city-slicker from NYC.
      The other option are Raven's cultists. Individuals that have embraced the Reckoners, the enemies of the spirits. They can get magic, but it's Black Magic, fueled by Manitou and inherently evil.

Neither of those explain how a Ravenite Shaman would be a thing.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Aren't the Ravenites the bad guys (one of the bad guys)? Why would you let a hero PC take a bad guy edge?
        Like what you have read in someone's post? Hit that like button and let everyone know.

I run Deadlands Reloaded. One of my players writes an incharacter blog here --> http://ballgownsandbattleskirts.blog...deadlands.html

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
          Aren't the Ravenites the bad guys (one of the bad guys)?
          Only some of them.
          Like the Whately family, not all of them knew what they were getting into when they signed up. And playing someone misled by the "dark side", or even a reformed villain, can be a lot of fun.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by lunchmoney View Post
            Aren't the Ravenites the bad guys (one of the bad guys)? Why would you let a hero PC take a bad guy edge?
            Shaman used to be able to have Raven (the bird, not the BBEG) as a Guardian spirit. It didn't make them "evil" but it made most other indians suspicious of them. The Cult of Raven had a very public stance of killing anyone who messed with a Raven Guardian Spirit, so Raven Shaman were socially pushed to join the cult.

Back in Classic, i let Raven war favours apply to modern tech like guns when other Spirits wouldn't to further underline the diference.

Comment

• Wanderingmystic
              Wanderingmystic commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes but the term "Ravenite" is a term used to describe an native american who is a member of the Sons of Raven or later on those who had turned their backs on the old ways and embraced technology.
          Working...
          X