Hoping someone knows of an adventure module fitting my loose framework

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hoping someone knows of an adventure module fitting my loose framework

One of my ETU players has a ghostly companion who is a young girl appearing, by dress, to be from around 1860.
    The group will happen upon a painting which will suck them into the Old West (Deadlands milieu) to right the wrong that made her a restless spirit.
    My loose, very rough adventure hook is:
    • Girl was pregnant and was going to elope with her young beau
    • Another suitor makes a deal with a (devil, demon, power) to make her his
    • Something bad happens to her, she is murdered or struck into a coma or "loses her sensibilities" (catatonic)
    • The original beau (good kid) is wrongfully hanged for her (murder, assault)
    • The suitor (bad kid) gets away with it (and maybe the child is born? The student's ancestor? Maybe the ghost prairie girl was the sister of the ETU student's great-great whatever?)
    • The party arrives and has a day, maybe two, to stop these events from transpiring
    The party completes (or fails) the mission, if successful, they appear back in Pinebox, current day, and the painting which once depicted a man, head bowed, praying at a grave turns into a happy scene of a young couple with an infant packed up and "moving west". Of course the man and woman are the beau and the girl whose ghost follows the student, since the group "changed history".

The ghostly companion changes appearance to an older woman that is the same girl, but who died of scarlet fever some years later after having a few children.

The next day a student approaches the ETU character excited about "23 And Me" and genealogy, the two are distantly related.

What I am hoping to find, with this "shell" of an event bubbling in my imagination, is a Deadlands adventure module that can fill in/flesh out the details, a story of unrequited love and deal-making with evil powers … so if anyone knows of such, please let me know ! I've got a lot of time before we reach the time when I will run this.

There are a couple of One Sheets that are sort of in that ballpark that I can think of, one called “Envy” and one called “Lover’s Quarrel,” which might suit your purposes.

All that being said, it honestly sounds to me like you already have a great idea for an adventure, and I would just run with that.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Neither of those really work as written.
      Envy is about a harrowed murdering his happy brother.
      Lover's Quarrel is about a female ghost and her living lover.

Either could be mined to fill out the proposed adventure but neither would save much time. Of the two, Lover's Quarrel is the more useful of the two.

I am a new Savage Worlds DM/GM/"Dean" but I have a passing familiarity with the SW edges, hindrances and the ruleset. The lion's share of what I don't know, I can at least find in the SWADE rule book. ("I knew there was a rule about shooting from horseback, where's the picture of the mounted Indian brave with the spear?"). Since I backed the new Deadlands kick-starter, I should have a chance maybe to get the new rules before I run. The one-sheets are perfect even if not a direct match, because they might provide stat blocks for the demon/devil/? and other ideas I can mine. Thanks guys ! I'd say the trope of "we hung the wrong man" is not too uncommon.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
      ValhallaGH commented
      Editing a comment
      Heh. The only problem with using Savage Worlds for DCC material is the character funnel.
      You can fake that by having everyone start with three or four characters that are Extras, and when they get their first class level they become Wild Cards. It's not ideal but it can work.

• Eric
      Eric commented
      Editing a comment
      Ah yah I getcha Valhalla, I don't plan to try to adapt DCC to SW, only meant that in the two-plus years with the group we have only played DCC and briefly SWN. So a change to the Savage Worlds + ETU ruleset represents a departure from the player's "comfort zones".

In my long experience as a player-sometimes-DM, I have found players just want to play - if you change up the rule-set they are still happy to be playing ! I think they will like that change-of-pace (to college students) and less straight combat, more role-playing, and more investigation/research needed to understand, and best, the adversaries/monsters.

• Eric
      Eric commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, I should add, just when they have adapted to Pinebox Texas and the East Texas University campus, I want to shake things up and drop them into a Deadlands adventure, through the magic of "DM Fiat" :-) … this gives me some exposure to THAT system too, in a manner that is meaningful to the group (or at least the character that is haunted/accompanied by the ghost of the teenaged girl).
Working...
X