Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can The Galting Pistol Work In Real Life?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can The Galting Pistol Work In Real Life?

Would have a Gatling gun that can be held with a pistol grip actually a. work, and b. be practical? I'm sure that it's POSSIBLE to build a real one with a pistol grip (and no, that French man that supposedly built one just built a revolver that looks like a Gatling gun https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1eIeo45Uaw), and I'm sure it would fire and use a hand-crank, but it probably wouldn't be practical since you'd need an overly large magazine that either wouldn't fit in a space you intend pistols to fit (concealed carry, small bags, etc.), or it wouldn't have much ammo in it so you'd shoot and be empty in seconds (sounds like what my wife says). What are your thoughts?

Well, as you already pointed out it should easily bepossible to construct one, even a working one.
    Regardless of either being manually or electrically operated, I'd deny the practicality of a Gatling Pistol:
    - Many barrels = heavy.
    - Small magazine ≠ need for many barrels.
    - Autofire ≠ handgun. (While there are full-auto pistols, they are rather hard to control. One of the reasons why full-auto ist mostly used with long guns...)
    In Deadlands there are no other automatic weapons, so they do have their niche, but in the modern day, you'd just combine aspects that don't really belong together.
    Please refrain from tweeting my posts or posting them on facebook. I dislike those services and would rather keep my contributions contained in this special interest forum. Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by UndeadParrot View Post
      Well, as you already pointed out it should easily bepossible to construct one, even a working one.
      Regardless of either being manually or electrically operated, I'd deny the practicality of a Gatling Pistol:
      - Many barrels = heavy.
      - Small magazine ≠ need for many barrels.
      - Autofire ≠ handgun. (While there are full-auto pistols, they are rather hard to control. One of the reasons why full-auto ist mostly used with long guns...)
      In Deadlands there are no other automatic weapons, so they do have their niche, but in the modern day, you'd just combine aspects that don't really belong together.
      Makes enough sense. I may add a stock to the Gatling pistol as my Mad Scientist and make an assault rifle (I know, not select fire and not 5.56 round, but close enough in this game).

Comment

Real life gatling pistol?
        Doable.
        Impractical.

Effectively, you're building a sub machine gun. One using a rotary barrel design. That's totally doable.
        The issues are weight, operation (hand cranking), and ammunition supply - either a large stick magazine or a bulky drum or a small magazine that makes it a novelty weapon.
        It won't be concealable, it won't be subtle, and it won't be one-handed.

Deadlands Gatling pistols?
        Doable.
        Kind of practical.

They're sub machine guns, with a rotary barrel design. They're steam operated, allowing for one-handed use. They're bulky and awkward, but the use of ghost steel for many parts keeps the weight manageable. Magazine sizes are pretty small, but just large enough to be useful for short range and brutal combats.
        They're wasteful, temperamental, and expensive, but also powerful and brutally effective.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          Real life gatling pistol?
          Doable.
          Impractical.

Effectively, you're building a sub machine gun. One using a rotary barrel design. That's totally doable.
          The issues are weight, operation (hand cranking), and ammunition supply - either a large stick magazine or a bulky drum or a small magazine that makes it a novelty weapon.
          It won't be concealable, it won't be subtle, and it won't be one-handed.

Deadlands Gatling pistols?
          Doable.
          Kind of practical.

They're sub machine guns, with a rotary barrel design. They're steam operated, allowing for one-handed use. They're bulky and awkward, but the use of ghost steel for many parts keeps the weight manageable. Magazine sizes are pretty small, but just large enough to be useful for short range and brutal combats.
          They're wasteful, temperamental, and expensive, but also powerful and brutally effective.
          I didn't know about the Ghost Rock part; really seems like it's magic rock that Mad Scientists can just slap on and say works. Thanks for the perspective. Yeah it wasn't far from what I thought it'd be. Gives me an idea for my Gatling Assault Rifle idea. Thank you.

Comment

For one-handed use, go with the other technology of steampunk, clockworks. Explain it as the signature Gatling-crank winds a mainspring inside the gun that the trigger releases. Ignoring, of course, how impractical such a spring would be. Go with the rotary (totally not a drum, it's got a hole in the middle fer spinnin' ) magazine set-up like the iconic image in SWD. For extra points, the crank counter-spins as the spring tension is released, so a critical failure has a narrative for damage potential as the crank drives into the shooter's hand or spins off or something requiring time for the clockworks to be reassembled.

Comment

Originally posted by paladin2019 View Post
              For one-handed use, go with the other technology of steampunk, clockworks. Explain it as the signature Gatling-crank winds a mainspring inside the gun that the trigger releases. Ignoring, of course, how impractical such a spring would be. Go with the rotary (totally not a drum, it's got a hole in the middle fer spinnin' ) magazine set-up like the iconic image in SWD. For extra points, the crank counter-spins as the spring tension is released, so a critical failure has a narrative for damage potential as the crank drives into the shooter's hand or spins off or something requiring time for the clockworks to be reassembled.

Sounds like 1 engineering course more than I'm smart enough to fully get, but it seems right enough. That design flaw seems like a good role-play for my character. My Mad Scientist wants to build it, wants to test is, and then hands it off to my part members to let them deal with the problems. If it fails and they threaten to hurt me I'll just persuade them it's their fault, lie it's their fault, knock out and pretend it was all a dream, etc.. Not bad. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Not Clyax113 S. Xaces View Post
                I didn't know about the Ghost Rock part; really seems like it's magic rock that Mad Scientists can just slap on and say works.
                There's a few reasons Mad Science is an Arcane Background. You're welcome and good luck.
                I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Do any Deadlands books introduce the Puckle gun?
                  Considering history didn't diverge until 1863 (IIRC), and the Puckle gun was invented in 1718, it *should* be canon, right?

Just wondering. Cos with ghost steel and advances in engineering, a handheld (two handed) Puckle can certainly be a thing. Boom! There's your automatic rifle.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
                    ValhallaGH commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It exists still, but no one uses it. Not sure if it has stats in any edition.

Originally posted by Deskepticon View Post
                  Do any Deadlands books introduce the Puckle gun?
                  Considering history didn't diverge until 1863 (IIRC), and the Puckle gun was invented in 1718, it *should* be canon, right?

Just wondering. Cos with ghost steel and advances in engineering, a handheld (two handed) Puckle can certainly be a thing. Boom! There's your automatic rifle.
                  I know what you're talking about, and the inherint design of the Puckle Gun makes it inefficient compared to the faster reload and continual fire-rate of actual Gatling guns. If you're gonna take the time in game to build a Puckle Gun then it's better to just build a Gatling gun, or it's better to buy it as the investment cost alone will be more expensive that the Smith and Robinson's factory-produced Gatling Guns.

Comment

• Deskepticon
                    Deskepticon commented
                    Editing a comment
                    You've got about 140 years between the inception of the Puckle gun and the Gatling, so it isn't exactly fair to compare efficiencies. The question was, is something like the Puckle gun in the setting? Acknowledging the adances of engineering and the wonders of ghost rock, an "automatic rifle" seems conceivable.

• Not Clyax113 S. Xaces
                    Editing a comment
                    Are you asking if it *would* exist? Because after Puckle Gun was made it didn't sell, and there's currently only two officially produced ones found to date, so it wouldn't be around. It DID, however, have similar mechanisms to 1800's revolvers and 1 rotating cannon. In universe the Confederate States of America actually had invented a revolving cannon with 5 chambers, so you could RP the Confederates using it during massive assaults, or if you just wanna slap it on your airship: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confed...volving_Cannon
                Working...
                X