Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A time line for games setting, including african adventures.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A time line for games setting, including african adventures.

Hi,
    I would like to share my timeline I am working on with reference materials
    . Here my draft:

1873 Introduction of the colt peacemaker and winchester rifle

1875 War against the Dakota tribue

1876 Sioux War, Invention of the telephone

1877 Colt M1877 First effective double-action revolver

1878 Tswana expedition in Africa

1879 Deadlands Reloaded canon start, War against the Maori in today New Zealand

1885 French declare a protectorate over Madagascar

1887 Winchester Model 1887, Webley Revolver

1888 Cliff Palace discovery (Colorado). In Africa, start of the expedition of Paul Crampel against Rabah empire

Last edited by maitre; 04-21-2019, 02:03 PM.

Uh ?

Am I missing something ? In Deadlands the civil war ended in 1878...

Comment

Originally posted by Meister View Post
      Uh ?

Am I missing something ? In Deadlands the civil war ended in 1878...
      Sorry, I have remove this entry, any other comments welcome.

Comment

Why not start with The Timeline of Doom!!!!? It covers all major historical events that were published before ~2004.
        It deliberately excludes materials that aren't defined, like when various adventures occur or how they turn out.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I question the usefulness of some of those timeline entries. Very little (if anything) of Deadlands makes its way outside of North America; at least as far as I know. And the Winchester 1887 doesn't exist for two reasons. First, the timeline hasn't advanced that far as the upcoming SWADE update only advances the year to 1884. And Second, the protracted war has spurred on weapons development; leading to a canonical Winchester lever-action shotgun in the game. The classic book Law Dogs erroneously lists its debut year as 1850, but it's been a part of the rules from the very beginning (so at least 1879) and has been in every iteration since. An anachronism to be sure, but thems the rules. That said, it won't hurt anything to drop if from your home game if the inconsistency bothers you.

Oddly enough, I can't find evidence of when they swapped over from copper to brass shell casings in the setting fiction. There was a known problem with copper causing jams in the Springfield trapdoor (1873 model), which was widely adopted by the U.S. Army. But investigations into why didn't start until after Custer's defeat at Little Big Horn in '76. It's possibly due to the Winchester repeater being the default firearm choice for soldiers in the setting fiction, which didn't have this problem. Either the Springfield trapdoor wasn't widely adopted, or it was and they just switched to the Winchester. Either way, it's a little world-building detail I'd love an official answer for.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            The Springfield trapdoor was loved by the ordnance and supply types because of its low rate of fire, and in peace time they have a lot of budget control.
            Combat effectiveness benefits from a high rate of fire.
            So, in a world where active combat is ongoing and politically important, it makes sense that the more combat effective weapons will be widely used.

• Hannigan Rex
            Hannigan Rex commented
            Editing a comment
            Several sources, all downplayed, suggest the Reckoning has had a global affect with the American West being the most affected. I don't know if those bits were retconned, but they can be found.

Originally posted by Jounichi View Post
          I question the usefulness of some of those timeline entries. Very little (if anything) of Deadlands makes its way outside of North America
          I don't know about you but my gamemastering is about creativity, creation, imagination and adventures...
          Last edited by maitre; 04-18-2019, 10:42 PM.

Comment

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            Your point is unclear.

• Deskepticon
            Deskepticon commented
            Editing a comment
            I think what ValhallaGH is driving at is, unless you plan to have adventures outside of North America, or at least have events impact NA in some way, why mention any of it? Why not also mention the Zulu Wars (1879), or any other event happening anywhere else in the world?

The purpose of your timeline is unclear (where it isn't inconsistant). Not trying to be a jerk here. Just being blunt.

• ValhallaGH
            ValhallaGH commented
            Editing a comment
            No, not the point of the thread, like Deskepticon suggested, the point of this particular post.
            Does it exist just to passive-aggressively deride Jounichi? Or was it meant to achieve some broader point?
            Because it reads to me like passive-aggressive rudeness. Which would be a violation of the forum rules, specifically rule 1. But I like to assume the best of people, and I know a lot of gamers that have issues communicating clearly and politely, so I was asking for clarification of this post and its purpose.

I question why 1888 is mentioned as the invention of the camera when it has been part of the gear since at least 1877 (and was likely invented earlier following the discovery of ghostrock in 1868). While, historically, 1888 is the year George Eastman marketed the "Kodak", cameras have appearantly been part of Deadlands lore or at least a decade before that.

Comment

• maitre
            maitre commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I a newbie at Deadlands, I have remove the camera mention

• Jounichi
            Jounichi commented
            Editing a comment
            Good call on Kodak and film appearing in 1888. But if we're talking ghostrock cameras and their predecessors, then dry plates have been around since 1857. And the wet plate process, which is implied to be the one referenced in the books, first came to prominence in 1871.

Originally posted by maitre View Post

I don't know about you but my gamemastering is about creativity, creation, imagination and adventures...
          So is mine, And maybe next time you can quote the full sentence and cut a guy a little slack. Because "at least as far as I know" is explicitly admitting I don't know everything. As someone else has pointed out, there is some material (however downplayed) that the Reckoning had global effects. And that makes some amount of sense. But if you're going to bring up creativity, then allow me to add my two cents.

Don't go ahead of the official timeline unless you're setting your game during that period or later and needs those years filled in. And don't compare it 1:1 to ours, as some things have changed. The gunfight at the OK Corral, for example, happens ahead of schedule. Tom "Bear River" Smith (the marshal of Abilene, Kansas before James "Wild Bill" Hickock) is alive and well during the events of The Last Sons despite being decapitated in 1870 during an arrest gone bad. You need speculative fiction. Some things that did happen might not, or happen differently. Presently, your timeline barely amounts to the shavings off the tip of the iceberg.

Allow me to give an example. Historically, neither Great Britain or France recognized the CSA. Neither wanted to get involved without the other, and the French were concerned with the Prussians. And rightfully so, as the Franco-Prussian War was in 1870. So why would France risk recognizing them? Was the CSA in a position to provide aid? The French military was using mostly brass firearms at the time, as opposed to the Prussian steel which was far superior. A protracted war would certainly spur on weapons development. And the CSA did, essentially, appropriate a bunch of northern designs. Colt and Winchester were manufactured down south under the Gunnison and Tyler names. One of those factories was in Norfolk, Virginia if memory serves. But there might not be a German Empire under Wilhelm I. Or, at the very least, the war would have been protracted with an eventual Prussian victory. Deadlands Noir does still have The Great War happening pretty much on schedule.

(Personally, I'm inclined to think the Great Quake of '68 and the discovery of Ghost Rock might have been a factor. Admittedly, this messes with the timeline a bit. The Franco-Prussian War ended in January of '71 while the first flamethrowers were introduced in the Battle of Washington a month later.)

What might the Boshin War and Boxer Rebellion look like with enlightened martial artists (including possible samurai) fighting? Two of the worlds biggest coal mines are in China. What's their Ghost Rock situation like?

But here's something else to consider: the four major servitors are all in North America. The fight over the future of the world is being fought there. For whatever reason, that's the important battleground. Terrorforming might still exist elsewhere, but I would think it's extremely rare. You're free to invent whatever you want, and I hope to read it once you're done.

But I don't even think everything you've listed in your timeline is even right by our own history. you have a lot of work to do.

Comment

Working...
          X