Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Little help: most spaghetti westerny campaign/adventures?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Little help: most spaghetti westerny campaign/adventures?

Hi,
    I want to run a campaign in Deadlands, but I'm fairly new to the setting, just like the players.

I have run two adventures from Deadlands previously: Coffin Rock and Don't Drink the Water. Enjoyed both of them. Now I'd like to have a campaign with some requirements:
    1. I don't have much preparation time, so the modules should require minimal changes.
    2. I prefer less mystics/steam stuff and more classic spaghetti western. Of course, magic, gatling pistols and ghosts are fine, but they should not be overwhelming - or might be as a climax. So low fantasy/horror style, at least at the beginning of the campaign.
    3. Preferably near Texas/South Border
    4. It should be rather short - let's say 15-25 gaming nights or so.
    5. I have Blood Drive 1, which is ALMOST it, but a bit railroady for my taste.

So, any suggestions which campaigns/plot points/modules would "qualify"?

I understand that "The Flood" is more about steamships and martial arts, "Lost Sons" about native americans, but how about "Stone and Hard Place"? Any other plot points I am not aware of?
    Last edited by Kessler; 11-21-2018, 12:52 PM.

Welcome! To the forum and to Deadlands.

1. and 5. are kind of incompatible - minimal prep time means that the author needs to know what's coming well enough to write useful material for later in the campaign.

The Flood is about learning the mysteries of an evil pseudo-Christian cult, and traveling across the shattered remains of California to try and end it. It has supplemental rules for steamships and martial arts (and supernatural kung fu is already part of the setting) but it isn't about those things.
    Last Sons is about native tribes, conflicts between them and the U.S. government, and a mystical conspiracy.
    Stone and a Hard Place is probably the closest Plot Point Campaign to a spaghetti western. The most overtly supernatural element is the immortal and unstoppable gunslinger at the heart of the campaign. It's set in and around the Arizona territory. Like any of the PPCs, it can be compressed to about 20 sessions, but it really shines when you can spend 60+ game nights on it.
    Good Intentions is all about steampunk, corruption, and the origin of a wealthy monster.

Of the four published campaigns, Stone and a Hard Place is probably the one you want.

Good luck!
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      1. and 5. are kind of incompatible - minimal prep time means that the author needs to know what's coming well enough to write useful material for later in the campaign.
      With minimal prep I meant that I don't have to take time to figure out how to tie different adventure scenarios/modules, add interesting plot twists etc. I'm quite long time GM, so I know that some preparation is needed in any case, no problem.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.
      No worries, I don't get offended that easily .

It was definitely useful, thanks a lot! I'll check out Stone and Hard Place, didn't know it was set in Arizona (there are a lot of Deadlands modules and not so much reviews/summaries of them I could find).

Are there any stand alone adventures that are also more classic western type? How about Knights With No Armor, For Whom the Whistle Blows, Guess Whos Coming To Donner?

Just to clarify: I don't expect no supernatural whatsoever, just a bit less. Murder on the Hellstromme Express was centered around steamy machines and was a bit over the top for first games, but Don't Drink the Water had just the right amount of horror.
      Last edited by Kessler; 11-22-2018, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Kessler View Post
        Are there any stand alone adventures that are also more classic western type? How about Knights With No Armor, For Whom the Whistle Blows, Guess Whos Coming To Donner?
        Don't forget about the free one sheet adventures. Envy is probably the most classic western of the bunch (standard family violence story, but one group happens to be dead), but looking is free.

Guess Who's Coming to Donner happens at Donner Pass, and the characters get jumped by man-eating once-human monsters.
        For Whom the Whistle Blows is a pure "horde of monsters" horror / survival adventure.
        I don't know Knights with No Armor, so I can't give specifics. But the summary reads like it will lead to characters learning about Raven's secrets - and Raven is not a spaghetti western character.

Comment

Thank you!

Comment

Having run 'most' of Stone and A Hard Place I have found it is neither too railroady nor prep intensive. As Valhalla said it is better run over more sessions but can easily fit in your 15-25 frame. Just skip a few of the included Savage Tales and be a bit more generous with experience. IMO the players need to be at least mid Heroic before the final showdown but I have heard of others doing it sooner.
            I have way too much time but do not always edit myself properly. Please do not take offense.

Comment

Thanks for the input!

I think I'll start with Blood Drive first few encounters for more mundane introduction, travel to Tombstone and then start with a campaign.

Comment

Working...
              X