Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Classic to Reloaded - Community Conversions

Howdy, all!

I had asked about this in the Official Rules answers, but wanted to open answers up to the community as a whole, as well as ask a second follow-up question of you all:

1) I was wondering if there are either any official answers or suggestions from anyone on attempting to simulate things like Tricks for a Huckster or Gifts for a Blessed from Classic in DLR?

I'm converting my players over, and I have one of each in my group who really liked those abilities and the way they worked (cantrip-like vs. actual spells) in Classic, and they are concerned about the loss of these abilities in the conversion.

2) Before I put the work into it myself, has anyone in the community done any additional Classic-to-Reloaded Conversions for Adventures or Supplements (beyond the freebies Pinnacle offers on their site)? If so, would you be willing to share them?

Thanks!

I don't have anything specific but I know I have seen rules put forth for cantrips (from Zadmar maybe? Or was that just Vancian magic?). Usually, these are NOT conversions for Deadlands, they're typically D&D or clones. Anyway, you might google Savage Worlds cantrips and see if there's anything there you can use.

Comment

2) There isn't a lot of conversion required - just swap the stats for Critters to their Reloaded equivalents, and most NPCs become whatever generic NPC block best fits with a couple of noteworthy skills or gear and you're mostly done.
      The only other thing really required is TN difficulties; I've found that Foolproof = +1 (sometimes +2), Fair = +0, Onerous = -1, Hard = -2, Incredible = -4, and "Impossible" = -6 is a good guideline, but some tasks aren't as difficult as the Classic adventures made them out to be.

1) Gifts: Most of these are just an arcane trapping on an existing Edge. For example, a Guardian Angel Gift is the Dodge edge, with a miraculous trapping. Combine with holy Professional edges - notably Champion and the new Conviction - to become a font of righteous fury.
      Tricks: These can be safely cast, no Manitou required. Which you can already do by using power points instead of Dealing With the Devil. As such, a Huckster already knows a number of Tricks equal to their number of Powers - or more, depending upon how flexible a specific power is.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Thanks for the responses, guys! I appreciate it.

ValhallaGH, I'll compare the Gifts he has to the Edges, and see what we can "re-trap". For the Tricks idea you mentioned above, would you consider the use of a trick to be a single power point, given their minor effects, or would you just consider them to have no cost? In Classic, there was still a chance they would fail (or get Backlash on) a Trick, no matter how small.

In regards to the Conversions from Classic, I was thinking more along the lines of the Unique Abominations that peppered the Sourcebooks and Adventures, not simply the standard critters. I can do them myself - just thought if somebody else had already statted up things like the Outsiders from Bloody Ol' Muddy, Crossbreeds from the Devil's Tower Trilogy, etc., then I wouldn't have to.
        Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 11-16-2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Tatterdemalion View Post
          For the Tricks idea you mentioned above, would you consider the use of a trick to be a single power point, given their minor effects, or would you just consider them to have no cost?
          Tricks were cheap to get, easy to use, and didn't require dealing with the devil. My proposal is that a Trick is just a Huckster power performed without calling on a manitou. It can still fail, it can still cause self harm (Shaken), but it can be just as effective as any other hex - however, the Huckster can't sustain that because his "tricks" are divorced from the manitou.
          Mechanically, my proposal is kind of the opposite of the Classic version - but it keeps the (to my mind) core thematic element of being a power mastered enough that the Huckster can use it without having to bargain with capricious and malicious spirits. Which might be a problem for your players.

I'm not aware of any specific conversions of the various unique or "limited" Classic varmints. So, you'll have to do your work with those - but the free conversions should help a fair bit.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

So, Tricks would still have a power point cost, yes? I'd assume, given their minor effects, they wouldn't ever cost more than one.

An alternate idea I had is cribbed from an article I recently saw in...an old Shark Bytes issue(?)...regarding a new Edge which allowed a fantasy setting wizard to pick 3 cantrip-like spells (samples included in the article) that they can buy multiple times as Advances, but these abilities have no associated power point cost.

I was thinking about possibly implementing a similar idea with Tricks, adding the concept that the Huckster would still draw a single card when casting them and only succeed on a Red card (or get backlash on a Joker).

EDIT: Here's my first pass at this - what do you think? I'll probably adapt a handful of Tricks (specifically the ones my player uses/covets, at least) and make some write-ups if he's in agreement with this...

New Edge: Hat Trick(s)
            Requirements: Novice, Arcane Background (Spellcasting)

A Huckster may purchase this Edge to learn three Tricks (minor, cantrip-like abilities).

Casting a trick costs a single power point. Alternately, he may attempt a "Deal with the Devil" against a minor Manitou. To do so, the Huckster makes a Spellcasting check, then draws a single card, plus one for each success and raise. As long as he/she draws a single red card, the Trick is successful. If the Huckster rolls snake eyes on his casting roll, the manitou majorly outclasses him, and the Marshal rolls on the Backfire table, halving the result.
            Last edited by Tatterdemalion; 11-18-2018, 05:17 AM. Reason: Correcting Typos

Comment

I think it's important to look at what the Classic Tricks do.
              Bandage - like the healing power, it stops a character from bleeding to death.
              Bar - inflicts -5 (-4 in Reloaded) on Strength rolls to force open a door, within 10'.
              Beggar's Banquet - makes food taste better.
              Calling Card - create unique card faces for various reasons.
              Coffin Varnish - turn any beverage into a super-coffee that helps resist sleep (natural or magical).
              Compass - learn the cardinal directions, kind of like the Survival skill.
              Copy - instantly duplicate a page of text, like an old mimeograph.
              Divinin' Rod - locate a nearby water source.
              Envision - look through up to a playing card thickness of object. Notably, a way to magically cheat while gambling.
              False Face - minor cosmetic disguise of self.
              Flare - make fires slightly larger and brighter, kind of like elemental manipulation power.
              Flicker - briefly dim fires within the radius, kind of like elemental manipulation power.
              Forecast - predict the weather, kind of like the Survival skill.
              Groom - instantly clean self and clothes; does not remove stains.
              Guestimate - learn how difficult a task will be.
              Hesitate - lower the target in Initiative by one value (10 becomes 9); really useful.
              Ignite - hand acts as a lighter, kind of like elemental manipulation power.
              Likker Up - target has to roll Spirit to resist drinking booze.
              Palm - use magic to do sleight of hand.
              Preserve - make food last slightly longer before spoiling.
              Reload - load 3 bullets. Of course, loading in just an Action, so kind of pointless to spend magic doing it.
              Shatter - make a breakable object, whiskey bottle sized or smaller, within a few feet "spontaneously" break.
              Shout - magically make your voice clear for hundreds of yards.
              Sound - create minor distracting sound within Smarts yards.
              Whisper - whisper to one target up to 5 yards away.
              Will o' the Wisp - tiny floating magic light.

That's a pretty wide range of power, from "minor convenience" to "replicate part of a skill" to "replicate an existing power".

If I was married to having such things, I'd probably create a new Huckster only Power edge. Something like:

Tricks (Power)
              Requirements: Arcane Background (Magic), Knowledge: Arcana d6+, Spellcasting d8+
              You've mastered using magic for minor useful effects. This can clean a couple of pounds of cloth, provide fire equivalent to a match, emulate minor effects of other skills (find north, predict the weather, etc.), cause minor cosmetic changes (your own eye color, the flavor of food, etc.), and move an object from your hands to pockets or vice versa.
              To use a Trick you need to describe the task and the Marshal will determine if it is within the power of this edge. If the Marshal approves then roll a Spellcasting check as an Action and spend one Power Point. Success provides the desired effect, failure has no effect but restores the power point, and a 1 on the Spellcasting die causes Shaken. The Huckster can Deal With the Devil for a Trick but suffers all the normal risks.

It's a bit fuzzy, with a lot of GM adjudication, but like the D&D Prestidigitation spell it provides a lot of utility that can make the character feel like a real wizard. The costs should keep it from being abused.

Comment

Gotcha. That makes sense, as far as the rolling mechanics are concerned, though I think results of 10-20 on the Backfire table seem a bit harsh when one is trying to simply change the face of a playing card or something, which is why I halved the result in my proposed Edge.
                -
                That said, I still don't like the idea of granting a Huckster "any minor effect his can come up with" with a single Edge. I think I'll stick with the idea that he can take three Tricks each time he takes the Edge (the equivalent of taking a new Power that costs 3 points to use).

I may be adding rules that wouldn't be necessary in a standard DLR game, but when converting a character who has been quickly modeling his growing character concept on their use, it will work.

Thanks for the feedback.

Comment

Gotcha. That makes sense, as far as the rolling mechanics are concerned, though I think results of 10-20 on the Backfire table seem a bit harsh when one is trying to simply change the face of a playing card or something, which is why I halved the result in my proposed Edge.
                  That's only a danger if he Deals with the Devil. If he spends the 1 power point then there's zero risk of Backfire - Backlash and the Shaken it causes is a risk but not Backfire.
                  Ya deal wit' devils, ya takes yer risks.

That said, I still don't like the idea of granting a Huckster "any minor effect his can come up with" with a single Edge.
                  When I compare Tricks to just taking a New Power, it seems competitive, much like Holy Warrior is competitive for a Blessed. When I compare Hat Trick to taking a New Power, I start wondering why I wouldn't just take elemental manipulation instead; or maybe boost/lower Trait with it's ability to boost my untrained skills, help my allies, or hinder my enemies for a single power.
                  But it's your game, your table, and your house rule. Do what seems balanced at your table.

Good luck!

Comment

This is a bit off-topic but I wasn't completely sure it warranted its own thread. I've converted over the Favored Chual edge from the Hexarcana (yes, I know, Favored Chual are just voodoo-flavored Tempests in The Last Sons) and I've been working on converting over the named manitou from the A Cut Above section of the Tombstone Epitaph #4. Would anybody be interested in those?

Comment

I'm always interested in that sort of stuff, Alana! I was a fan of the Cut Above article, myself. Not sure if/when I'd use a conversion, but it's always good to have stuff in your back pocket!

Comment

Working...
                      X