Where to start with Deadlands reloaded

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to start with Deadlands reloaded

I have a solid amount of Savage Worlds experience--been through 2 editions and have played/GM'd many one shots, 50fathoms, some last parsec etc. Not a veteran by any means but not a complete noob.

My question is this: Where to start in Deadlands reloaded--in best bang for the buck sort of way. I think they are working on a reprint of the game or updating it to Adventure edition. Details are vague etc but it is getting some sort of version update. Due to this as well as the TON of books out there--where does one start. I don't plan on buying a ton, but if I want to get a good feel for the game where to go first?

Do I NEED the marshalls guide? If I just get the first Plot point, the Flood--does that have all the player and Marshall's stuff in it or do you also need to get the players and marshalls guides? Also, would you recommend with a PPC first or do some smaller one-offs. Suggestions, please!?

You do need the Player's Guide and the Marshal's Guide. There are settings rules and background that are not in The Flood. You can play Deadlands without the Flood, you can't play the Flood without Deadlands: Reloaded Player's guide & Marshal's Handbook.

The player's guide is needed for the Edges, and types of magic casters.
    The Marshal's Guide has the real info on what's going on in the Weird West, info on the various factions, and monsters/NPCs.

The Flood takes you through a campaign set in the Great Maze of California. It has the outline of adventures, NPCs you'll need (that aren't in the Marshal's Handbook) and other things the GM needs to know about the area.

Comment

Deadlands is pretty awesome, but sprawling. Deadlands: Reloaded is going to get a major update - including being consolidated into one book (again) - sometime "soon"; probably during 2019.
      Originally posted by Nostromo View Post
      My question is this: Where to start in Deadlands reloaded--in best bang for the buck sort of way. I think they are working on a reprint of the game or updating it to Adventure edition. Details are vague etc but it is getting some sort of version update. Due to this as well as the TON of books out there--where does one start. I don't plan on buying a ton, but if I want to get a good feel for the game where to go first?
      Player's Guide and Marshal's Handbook. The first has the player-side rules for the setting, the second has the secrets, the monsters, the nation-level NPCs, the "bad result" tables, and lots of story hooks for each region.

As for Plot Point Campaigns, there are four to choose from: The Flood, Last Sons, Stone and a Hard Place, and Good Intentions. Publishing order is also approximate chronological order. Each PPC contains a handful of new monsters, stats for regional NPCs, region-specific setting rules, the plot adventures (about 8), supplemental adventures or "savage tales" (about 36), some new gear (region specific), and updated / supplemental rules for one of the arcane types (Chi Masters, Shamans, Harrowed and Blessed, Mad Scientists, respectively). So, you get good value for your purchase with these.

You've got a lot of other adventure options - free one sheets and normal scale adventures (Murder on the Hellstromme Express, Blood Drive, Don't Drink the Water, etc.).

My suggestion is to get the Player's and Marshal's books, then grab some of the free one sheets for Deadlands. Play 'em, try it out, and decide if the setting is for you and yours. If it is, take a long look at each of the Plot Points and choose the one that's most interesting for your group.

Good luck!
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Thanks guys for the answers--appreciate it. What plot points do you think are the best? Also, do you know what they are going to do to deadlands weird west (not the dark ages one) update (SWADE) are they combining rules or are they rewriting etc? Cuz now im on the fence to wait to buy for SWADE Deadlands. Thanks again!

Comment

Plot points:
          I like all of them for different reasons. My opinion is that The Flood has the best mix of exploration and story, and is arguably the best introduction for new players, but places a strong emphasis on resource management (it is Famine's playground); Stone and a Hard Place has the best story but is tied too tightly into the meta-narrative for new players; Last Sons is too open and sprawling, to the point that much of the story becomes difficult to care about (kind of like Skyrim), undercutting the awesomeness of all the possibilities you could explore; Good Intentions is probably the second best "introduction" but gets there by curtailing the relevant region into one of the smaller areas - good for keeping things focused but bad for players that love to wander across the horizon.

New Printing:
          While we don't know specifics, the update won't be a "rewrite". If you're not in a hurry then waiting for it is probably a good plan - the Deadlands books are currently 8 years old, and the core rules have undergone some significant changes in that time, not to mention the refinement of setting rules with all the player feedback.
          My expectation is that they'll consolidate some of the PPC specific archetype updates into the core setting book, they'll tweak the balance of some of the material, they'll bring Hexslingers back as their own AB (as they did in Hard Place), they'll refine a number of the setting rules (possibly removing some of the established but broken ones, like Grit), and insert a bunch of really pretty art.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Awesome! Thanks for taking the time Valhalla!

Comment

Working...
            X