Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hank "One Eye" Ketchum (Spoilers for SAAHP, posses beware)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hank "One Eye" Ketchum (Spoilers for SAAHP, posses beware)

We are 8 sessions in to a Deadlands campaign (Thank you Coffin Rock) and the posse is headed to Tombstone for the beginning of the "Stone and a Hard Place" Plot Point. I'd planned on leading with Virgil Earp giving them "A Lonely Place to Die", which features Hank Ketchum. I was wondering if anyone can point me to any more information about Hank. I know he's a Ranger, but what else do we know? Why is he in Tombstone? Is there anything in his backstory that can provide even more impact?

Thanks for the help!

Hank's in several of the old Dime Novels with Ronan Lynch. More recently, the Cackler graphic novel, which he is in, happens right before SAAHP and gives a bit context for his current predicament. He's pretty standard thick-skinned "one riot, one ranger" -type of a guy.

Tbh, this image is enough to give you a sense of him

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net...el-d3brp2d.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Jasaplay View Post
      Hank's in several of the old Dime Novels with Ronan Lynch. More recently, the Cackler graphic novel, which he is in, happens right before SAAHP and gives a bit context for his current predicament. He's pretty standard thick-skinned "one riot, one ranger" -type of a guy.

Tbh, this image is enough to give you a sense of him

https://db4sgowjqfwig.cloudfront.net...el-d3brp2d.jpg
      Thanks for the insight Jasaplay! And I love that picture, in fact, it's one of my GM screen inserts for that session.
      I guess I'll track down some pdfs and go from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Jasaplay View Post
        Hank's in several of the old Dime Novels with Ronan Lynch.
        Yep. Specifically, Independence Day, Night Train, and Worms!.
        He's got a few other short stories out there, including one with Los Diablos pursuing both Hank and Ronan.

Hank is basically the iconic Texas Ranger. He's tough, smart, a country man, a great shot, and implacable. If you can channel Jeff Bridges from the 2010 version of True Grit then you'll have done right by Hank.
        He fought at Gettysburg, where the Butcher took his eye. He'd been working that case for over a decade before finally solving it.
        Pretty much any image of a tough, one-eyed cowboy in Deadlands is an image of Hank Ketchum. He's almost as iconic to the setting as Jasper Stone, and only slightly less dangerous for a posse to encounter (because Ketchum is always found near serious trouble).

He was a Lieutenant in the Rangers as of the Classic Law Dogs book. By the time Lone Stars was published, he'd been promoted to Captain.
        Originally posted by Lone Stars, page 33
        I figger that no one gets a Lone Star Badge without hearing at least one story about ol’ One-Eye, but in case I’m wrong, let me tell you right quick that no one represents what the Rangers are all about more that Hank Ketchum. He’s tough, smart and is as stubborn as a Missouri mule. You may have heard the legends about ol’ One Eye, but the real man puts ‘em to shame.
        Hank's been in and around Arizona for nearly a decade, leading his company of Rangers in patrols of that troubled region. He's been an opponent of the Cowboys gang, an ally of the Earps, and a friend of Doc Holliday since he met each of them. He's been opposing and containing the schemes of Geronimo, Santa Anna (and Mexico), Baron LaCroix (Bayou Vermilion), the Cowboy gang (Tombstone), and even the snooping of Lacy O'Malley (the Tombstone Epitaph).

Good luck!
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
          Yep. Specifically, Independence Day, Night Train, and Worms!.
          He's got a few other short stories out there, including one with Los Diablos pursuing both Hank and Ronan.

Hank is basically the iconic Texas Ranger.

Good luck!
          Thank you Valhalla! That is exactly the kind of stuff I need to know to give that scene some real impact. If I can relay some of that to my posse, it will up the fear factor quite a bit. He won't be just another Law Dog gunned down by JS.

Comment

Working...
          X