Core Rules Edition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Core Rules Edition?

This has probably been mentioned before, but I'm curious if the idea of releasing a version of Deadlands that incorporates the Savage Worlds core rules has ever been considered?

Let me give a little background. My buddy and I play Deadlands occasionally (the rest of our regular D&D group have no interest). About a month ago, we played at a con with our girlfriends, neither of whom had ever played an RPG before. They both really liked it, so we decided to start a game.

Everyone wants to make their own characters rather than use a pre-gens (the con pre-gens with their lack of info on what edges and hiderances actually mean was extremely off-putting). Character creation, while fun for us old hands, can be really intimidating… flipping through two different books for hindrances, edges, skills, etc. will make that even worse.

I'm putting together my own cheat sheet to help smooth the process. But I really think you guys should consider some sort of special edition option that contains all the rules needed to play (not counting later supplements of course). I recognize the current arrangement is economical, but I for one would be happy to pay a premium for convenience, and I'll wager others would agree.

Sorry, highly unlikely to happen. We prefer not to ask folks to pay for the same content repeatedly in different books.
    Clint Black
    Forum Admin & Rules Answer Guy
    Savage Worlds Brand Manager

Comment

Just my two cents, but the fact that all the basic rules weren't in one book really cooled me off. Especially with pdfs, having to flit back and forth to try and work things out killed curiosity.

Now, i am speaking as a hardcore Classic man, where specific rules were scattered all over the place, but all the core rules to run a game were there in the main book. Having one place to try and sell me on the new stuff might have made it easier?

Anyway, hadn't thought about this in years, but the two book issue really was off putting at the time...

Comment

Core/basic rules also in test drive. That's free.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiemalk View Post
          Just my two cents, but the fact that all the basic rules weren't in one book really cooled me off. Especially with pdfs, having to flit back and forth to try and work things out killed curiosity.
          As a customer, I really liked that my setting book was never invalidated by a core rules change.
          My 2006 GenCon hardcover was printed when the Revised rules were current. It worked fine with Explorer's, and needed minimal notes after Deluxe came out.

That' the great thing about keeping Setting separate from Core; a change to one doesn't necessitate a change to the other. A problem that the licensed games Pirates of the Spanish Main and Solomon Kane both have, since they're "separate RPGs" they use a lot of older, clunkier, and less fun game mechanics.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

From the other side of the fence though, I was only looking at Deadlands, so the core book would just have been a reference book for Deadlands. Having the option for people who are just going to play in one setting having a bare bones rules appendix would have been helpful to me, just a personal view.

But I'm still running classic games, so I know I'm far from who's being aimed at these days....

Comment

Fair enough. I started the same way, and bought my copy out of confusion. But I fell in love with Savage Worlds, and the availability of the free Test Drive stuff provides a separate, but free, source of basic core rules.
              That the core rules let me do Deadlands, Star Wars, D&D, and Delta Green with minimal setting rules and no system changes made me very glad I got Savage Worlds.
              Originally posted by jamiemalk View Post
              But I'm still running classic games, so I know I'm far from who's being aimed at these days....
              Classic is awesome. Clunky, but awesome.
              I'm always happy to see Classic players, and I get the impression PEG is, too. Heck, they still give Official Answers for Classic questions when those come up.
              I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
              X