Looking for some tips running a game of Lost Colony

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for some tips running a game of Lost Colony

I backed Lost Colony. I am looking to start running it in the next week or two. It will be first Swade game I am running. My group has done quite a bit of weird west and we have had fun with it. We were going to start another weird west game but decided to jump into Swade and play Lost Colony.

My group and I have never played Lost Colony and I was looking for some tips and tricks. What's the one iconic thing that should be in every game of the way out west? Part of me also wants to throw some Alien esque type of mission/tale into it. I do plan to run the plot point. We will be making characters tomorrow. I look forward to any and all advice for running some Swade Lost Colony.

There are a lot of things that are arguably iconic "Lost Colony", so here are the ones that stuck with me:
    • Anouks. The big purple aliens are a unique feature of the Way Out West and definitely make it feel more foreign.
    • Dinosaurs. Banshee has alien dinosaurs, which is just cool.
    • Skinnies. Alien psychic liches that reside at the heart of horrific dungeons full of terrible monsters.
    • Space Ships. Faraway is the first place characters can cruise around the black, fighting space pirates, dealing with belt miners, and dodge the fascist storm troopers of EXFOR in Deadlands. It's a really strong Firefly / The Expanse vibe, which isn't a bad thing, but isn't too distinct.
    • Anouks riding Dinosaurs. Enough said.
    There are a lot of other great things like murderous jungles, creepy drugs, prospector / native tensions, Colonial Rangers, and more. But none of them immediately come to me when I starting thinking about Lost Colony, just the list I put above.
    Last edited by ValhallaGH; 02-04-2020, 11:45 PM.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

I will say that i got the firefly vibe right way. The skinnies sounded meh until i finally managed to dive into the gm section and the PPC. There looks to be quite a few really tricky encounters in it.

Comment

For me LC is the most "mashup/gonzo" of the DL settings. Also, it combines some of my favourites tropes:

- All the the Banshee/Tannis/Anouk/Skinnies/BlackCities stuff is pure Planetary Romance, Burroughs style (John Carter of Mars, etc).
        - The Hellstromme, EXFOR, Colonists infight makes a great Firefly vibe, as ValhallaGH said.
        - Use the Belt, the Dark, and the gravity drives mcguffin for Horror Survival in space.

Last edited by Khulmani; 02-07-2020, 10:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X