New Campaign with new players

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Campaign with new players

Joined a new group a few months back, mostly playing DnD. Tonight the DM wasn't ready, so I ran one-shot, Eye of Kilquato. They loved it, and I ran them through the settings I had, they picked DL:Noir.

Any tips?
    I'm not sure how to handle money. With Poverty, their cash is halved at the end of each week which covers living expenses, unless someone starts with some financial edges (or they get a big score) they will never own a vehicle; even the a used Old-model truck runs $100. No Tommy guns either unless they loot one.

I'm toying with using a modification of the ETU vehicle rules, Maybe poverty they can have a Old-Model with 2 or 3 rolls on the vehicle quirk table.

Why do they need a vehicle? They have the ol' heel-toe express and they can love it. But seriously, why do they need a vehicle? If they genuinely need one then the ETU rules make sense, but is that something they need or just something they want? The Great Depression earned its proper name and giving away resources is going to undercut that - damaging immersion and potentially making some challenges too easy to be fun.

Why do they need automatic weapons? You planning to throw swarms of walkin' dead at them? Save it until they've had a chance to stabilize financially - or have defeated and looted foes with appropriate equipment. Honestly, the zombie wranglers probably have the cars and guns that the players will need when the wranglers unleash their undead hordes, so you can gear up the posse as they confront the zombie wranglers.

Money - make sure they get paid for their work. Make sure the pay is enough to keep the characters alive for another week. This sets up a trend where even criminals pay their workers - except for the few treacherous jerks that try to stiff the party and thus motivate violent rampages to get what they're owed.
    Depending upon how your players actually feel about the crushing poverty and despair of the era, you'll need to adjust what comes next. If they respond well to the default then keep going with it; if they find it overwhelming and hate it then help them get stable in a way that makes sense so they can stop worrying about the rule that makes them sad.

Good luck.
    I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Mostly curious how other GMs have handled cars and money. And if someone was a bootlegger, they might have one. OTOH, they might also be loaned one for their job.

It seems the way the game is setup, logically PCs would spend any money they earn before the end of the week; but they can't save up over several weeks. So, if they want a Tommy gun or anything expensive, it'll have to be after a big score, or looted. Which might be OK

I also was thinking of a edge, Wheels. Requires Repair d6 (the only reason you can afford a car is that you spend a lot of time keeping it running); if someone wants a vehicle.
      Last edited by ogbendog; 03-18-2018, 07:28 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by ogbendog View Post
        And if someone was a bootlegger, they might have one.
        What the heck is a bootlegger doing in The Big Easy? Or Chicago? Bootlegging is done land around borders, focused on bringing illegal alcohol from one location to another. None of that applies to New Orleans or Chicago, both famously port cities a hundred (or more) miles from a land border.
        What is a bootlegger doing in the city?

Still, a successful bootlegger is probably Comfortable, much like any skilled individual successful in the recreational substance industry.

It seems the way the game is setup, logically PCs would spend any money they earn before the end of the week; but they can't save up over several weeks. So, if they want a Tommy gun or anything expensive, it'll have to be after a big score, or looted. Which might be OK
        If fits the economics of the setting. Scraping by from day to day and week to week, taking any work you can get, and probably partying since you're going to lose most of this money soon anyway.

If it actually bothers your players, and not just yourself, then you can give them the Comfortable edge for free after an appropriate story event.

I also was thinking of a edge, Wheels. Requires Repair d6 (the only reason you can afford a car is that you spend a lot of time keeping it running); if someone wants a vehicle.
        That's a pretty good idea if the player is willing to pony up an Edge for their beloved ride.
        I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

• ogbendog
          ogbendog commented
          Editing a comment
          What's a bootlegger doing in the Big Easy? Well, it's a sample character concept listed on page 6, so I assume the author thought it was valid. It says you are running booze to nearby dry counties or states.

Players haven't brought it up yet, we did a sample SW adventure, looked at the settings I owned, and they picked Noir. I'm trying to anticipate questions.

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        Why do they need a vehicle? They have the ol' heel-toe express and they can love it. But seriously, why do they need a vehicle?
        In noir fiction (at least the stuff I've encountered), the private eye protagonist typically has his own set of wheels.
        You're rational, sir. It's only us crazy people who get to swap out realities on a whim.

Comment

• Andrewfroehlich1
          Andrewfroehlich1 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nothing says poverty quite like hoofing it to a crime scene from your combined apartment/office in the pouring rain.

Public transportation is a thing, and New Orleans has had street cars since 1835.

In the noir fiction I've encountered, especially Depression-era, the detective uses his feet, public transport, cabs, or a not-so-friendly police cruiser (usually being "brought in for questioning").

Comment

• ogbendog
          ogbendog commented
          Editing a comment
          I think one reason for my original question, is that the first thing that I thought of was Boardwalk Empire. where cars and guns were prevalent. Of course, those were successful gangsters

• Jounichi
          Jounichi commented
          Editing a comment
          Not paying for public transit was common, too. People would sometimes just hop on the back of a trolley car and jump off when they either had enough or if/when a cop tried to stop them. Probably not the best example, but the first that comes to mind is Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
      Working...
      X