The Psychedelic Deadlands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Psychedelic Deadlands

I have long wanted to run Deadlands in the 1960s and 70s. Images of hopeful hippies battling Reckoner-backed false flower children, mad science flourishing in the days of wild innovation at the height of the cold war, surf culture burgeoning in the Great Maze, aging beatniks doing that vice magic from Deadlands Noir, and rock musicians taking the place of tale-tellers. If the group felt safe to do so (i.e., there was enthusiastic and affirmative consent stated by all parties), I'd probably keep the original timeline (adjusted to leave the idea of a non-racist Confederacy in the dustbin where it belongs) with the CSA and feature the Civil Rights War which finally forces them to abolish slavery.

Has anyone ever wanted to do this? Any thoughts or ideas for what could be present in the setting?
    either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
    Running:Neurally Ambiguous: Geppetto Must Die (Shadowrun 5e) (NSFW website)
    Support my RPG writing and streaming on Patreon!
    Lucifer's Shards: Sub-Creations Taking Root in Ein Soph Aur {an rpg blog}

I've got quite a few ideas you could go with.

- I imagine Dr. King could be a Blessed.
    - LSD and other psychedelic drugs could grant people (or maybe only sykers) the ability to see into the Hunting Grounds.
    - If rock musicians are Tale-Tellers, that would make the anti-rock moral panic even more hilariously off-base than it already was/is.
    - The witches that make use of Anabelle Lee Devlin's How to Serve Your Man (as per the Hell on Earth Companion) would practically have to be present.
    - And speaking of the Companion, it also claims that Lee Harvey Oswald was a patsy and a Confederate syker was Kennedy's real assassin. Also, the CSA was involved in the Cuban Missile Crisis in lieu of the USSR. If you want to keep the CSA around, these might not be bad pieces of info to leave in.
    - Nukes would almost definitely incorporate ghost rock into their design.

I'd personally prefer to leave out the CSA, if only to stick with the new canon, but generally I love this idea you've put forward!

Comment

I have some more ideas!

- Ghost rock-infused psychedelic drugs. In fact, an Edge similar to Ore Eater could be available to grifters, sykers and mad scientists. Hell, between ghost rock psychedelics and sykers, maybe MKUltra proved effective!
      - At the risk of ripping off Apollo 18, maybe the Apollo missions were discontinued because they found something sinister on the moon.

Edit: Call those ghost rock drugs "spookadelics"!
      Last edited by werenimal; 12-07-2020, 09:09 PM.

Comment

• steelbrok
        steelbrok commented
        Editing a comment
        Nah, the Moon missions finished once They made it to Earth

Sorry to keep spamming, but I have a couple of more ideas.

- You could do something with the Zodiac Killer being active in and around Shan Fan.
      - Some notable anti-rock pundits could be part of the Church of Lost Angels, secretly revere Grimme's cannibalistic practices, and oppose rock precisely because of its ability to lower Fear Levels.

Comment

Originally posted by werenimal View Post
        Sorry to keep spamming, but I have a couple of more ideas.
        Not at all! I'm mostly happy the idea is sparking something in someone else ~ it's evidently not just my own wackiness >.<

It helps that your ideas are awesome. Can you believe that I'd never thought of MLK as a Blessed facing down the Confederate army? Or that I'd forgotten the dang witches? And spookadelics!

Keep the ideas comin'! Hell, you're proving there's more juice in the idea than even I thought..... Now f only I could figure out a W word to go with it (Weird West, Wasted West, Way-Out West, . . .)
        either e/em/eir pronouns OR fey/fem/fear OR be/bim/bos pronouns {if you don't want to learn new words, singular they is OK}
        Running:Neurally Ambiguous: Geppetto Must Die (Shadowrun 5e) (NSFW website)
        Support my RPG writing and streaming on Patreon!
        Lucifer's Shards: Sub-Creations Taking Root in Ein Soph Aur {an rpg blog}

Comment

• Sitting Duck
          Sitting Duck commented
          Editing a comment
          The Whoa! West.

• werenimal
          werenimal commented
          Editing a comment
          How about the Weed West?

I'd Wasted would do, but it's already taken.

That's a great idea, but I'm not familiar enough with this time period, even moreso in the US, to have anything valuable to contribute...

Comment

It's a pity Way Out West is taken

Comment

If you don't have the Noir Companion then you should pick it up. Each city is set in its own decade (20s, 40s, and 50s), giving you a ton of cultural background and development to inspire the counter-culture of the 60s.

Also, the 'British Invasion' and its many copy-cats seems ripe for exploitation. Cults and cultists, skin changers and doppelgangers, sirens and mind control, are the plot points summoned off-the-cuff; blend those with some international espionage shenanigans for more crazy stories right out of a conspiracy theorist's "too ridiculous" pile.
            I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

The Manson Family seems prime for some Reckoners' influence, and J. Edgar Hoover is a shoo-in for the Agency.

Comment

- That Zodiac-Killer-in-Shan-Fan idea I proposed could be titled "Chinese Zodiac."
                - The Sioux Nations could see a huge influx of Americans "going native" to avoid the Vietnam War draft.
                - Woodstock could serve as a gigantic effort to lower Fear Levels across the country (or even the world), kind of like the Ghost Dance in The Last Sons. To make it grander, it could even feature several major artists that weren't there in real life, like the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan, the Doors, Led Zeppelin, and Simon & Garfunkel.
                - As a nod to the "Paul is dead" conspiracy theory, an adventure could involve the party discovering Paul McCartney has been kidnapped and replaced by a doppelganger, and trying to track him down and rescue him.

Comment

I just recently had a similar idea, Deadlands Funk, set in 1975 in Philadelphia, although Dayton, Ohio might be a better choice.

Comment

Working...
                  X