• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yorkblack
    started a topic Build for a harrowed templar

Build for a harrowed templar

Hello everyone !

I'm starting soon a game of deadlands hell on earth, and, as I'm always kind of a power gamer, I'd like to try to make him as powerful as possible. My starting feats would be veteran of the wasted west, templar, and harrowed, but beyond that, I'm not sure which is best. I see a lot of sweet things in the kung fu edge, so I was thinking taking martial artists, then a few times kung fu edges to get some benefits, and also supernatural attribute from harrowed to get good strength and vigor (for toughness) less expensively.

Can you suggest a build, or feats, gear, in fact, anything ?

Thanks a lot !

• Yorkblack
    replied
    Well thanks everyone for the answers, and the advice for the build!

Leave a comment:

• Yorkblack
    commented on 's reply
    Oh okay, that makes sense, thanks !

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    Nope. Official answer. If the human soul is in charge then a harrowed is not supernaturally evil unless it meets that definition a different way (AB (black magic), servitor, etc.).

• Jounichi
    commented on 's reply
    Does he, though? If someone uses Holy Champion against him, doesn't the manitou respond?

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    I'd rule that the manitou can't benefit from Champion.
    If it did then it would be an Evil champion, applying against supernaturally good foes.

Either way, a templar counts as supernaturally good, until they fall and take up the path of the anti-templar.

• Jounichi
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkblack View Post
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. I should see with the GM if he plans to make it more human-centered or monster-centered to see if champion and the like are worth it. Same for the skills, plus the skills of the other people in the party.
    Do you have any idea for my shield question though ? I'm not sure I really get it.
    Speaking of Champion, you occupy a weird space.

As a Harrowed, you are inhabited by a demon and therefore automatically count as supernaturally evil (unless that's been errata'd somewhere).
    So you could be a Champion, but you would technically be an "unholy" champion. Conversely, the bit for Templar's doesn't specify whether you can be a dark templar. I should point out, though, that dark templars also exist.

Leave a comment:

• ValhallaGH
    replied
    I'm not sure, but I suspect that the riot shield does two separate things.
    For the guy holding the shield, it gives +2 Parry and +2 armor against ranged attacks.
    For the guy standing behind the shield bearer, it grants medium cover (-2) against attacks from the shield side.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkblack
    replied
    Okay, thanks for the clarification. I should see with the GM if he plans to make it more human-centered or monster-centered to see if champion and the like are worth it. Same for the skills, plus the skills of the other people in the party.
    Do you have any idea for my shield question though ? I'm not sure I really get it.

Leave a comment:

• ValhallaGH
    commented on 's reply
    Skills: talk to your marshal about what kind of campaign he's planning to run. Explain that you've got a few unspent skill points and you're wanting some information to spend them in a way that helps the campaign.

• ValhallaGH
    replied
    If it isn't a naturally occurring creature, human, or robot (not an Automaton, because [REDACTED]) then it is supernatural.

And most supernatural things are also Evil; the Marshal has a lot of leeway here. Nature spirits and their manifestations aren't evil, neither are (most) tech spirits, and pollution spirits exist in a morally ambiguous space that makes them questionable.

Manitous are unambiguously Evil. Which means demons, walkin' dead (all types), wendigo, wolflings, a Harrowed under the control of the manitou, hostile ghosts, and many other critters are evil.

Rattlers are also supernatural and evil. So them, wormlings, etc.

The only confusing area is human cultists. Rank and file cultists, with no powers, are normal evil not supernaturally evil. Cult leaders with real power are probably as supernaturally evil as an AB (Miracles) character of an evil god.

Leave a comment:

• Yorkblack
    replied
    What does qualify as "supernaturally evil" exactly ? Because unlike in d&d where all monsters have a clear type, alignement and sometimes subtype, it is a bit vague in deadlands. Now I haven't read the monsters part in hoe since I'm not the marshall, but if it is like to the deadlands reloaded one, I'm not sure what works...

and another question : the ballistic shield says that it provides medium cover to someone standing behind it. Does that mean that if an opponent shoots me and hits despise the cover, I don't get the armor bonus from the shield ?

finally, I'm looking at the skills: which ones do you think are the most important to take ?

thanks a lot !
    Last edited by Yorkblack; 04-07-2018, 06:26 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Brickulos
    commented on 's reply
    good to know

• ValhallaGH
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkblack View Post
    So, for the edges
    progression, I'm now looking at this :
    harrowed, supernatural strength, templar, veteran, elan, power points, supernatural vigor, new power (quickness), with either armor or boos trait as the first power. That would give me 7 parry, 9 with the shield, 9 toughness (2 from armor), or 11 against bullets, and attacks at d10+2 (+wild dice) for 2d8 damage. I would also have 3 powers, healing, quickness and either armor or boost trait, but I think armor since I'm probably going to draw the ennemy fire, and 15 PP to go with those powers. I think it's a pretty sweet start, right ?
    I know no one recommanded Elan, but I like it, and my GM wants us to use bennies more to do awesome stuff so I figure a +2 when it matters is really useful, and it can always help soak damages anyway.

what do you think ?
    Pretty good.
    You'll want to add Champion in to your plans. It can be a pain to get, but that +2 damage and +2 Toughness when fighting monsters (and some cultists) is worth it.

I'll second the call for Simon's Blessing - that edge is basically Adept but for all your Templar powers. It does require Seasoned, but so do most of the Templar exclusive edges (HOE:R page 89). (Those edges are really good. Sword of the Saints would stack with Champion.)

Armor is good, and should stack with any physical armor since the power protects you with magical energy - and physical and non-physical armors stack unless the GM rules they don't (because he hates you).
    Deflection is just as good, since it stops you from getting hit as often and will generally reduce a raise to a regular hit - though it can't do anything for those attacks that do hit.

One of the fun things about Supernatural Trait is that it also raises the Attribute limit by two steps. A harrowed can potentially get to d12+2 in all five Attributes with normal advances. So, don't forget about using Advances to increase your Attributes and skills - they matter.

Elan is a great edge. Since you already need the Spirit d8+, the only reason not to take it is opportunity cost and the benny economy.
    When you reach Heroic, the Chosen of the Saints edge is worth taking. You may have higher priorities, but don't forget about it.

Good luck!

Leave a comment:

• Jounichi
    replied
    It's not bad, but I do have a few notes. The Armor power doesn't necessarily stack with physical armor; that's something to double-check with your Marshal. But Deflection is a tried and true alternative. As for action economy, there's an Edge called Simon's Blessing. With it, you can activate a single power each round as a free action. You still have to pass the Faith roll, but if you're busy pumping that up then no problem. In fact, there's a whole mess of Templar-only Edges you might want to look at.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X