[HOE] Destroying a Ghost Storm

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [HOE] Destroying a Ghost Storm

While I realize that Ghost Storms are a key part of the setting of Deadlands: Hell on Earth, ones that keep the faith of Doombringers (literally) burning, let us say, for the moment, that a Ghost Storm could be destroyed. Hellstromme prevented such supernatural events from happening in Junkyard and Denver, but for the moment, I would like to invite you to a thought exercise.

If destroying a Ghost Storm was possible, how would you go about it?

I mean, it's like a hurricane, right? So you can just pop a nuke in the center and it'll all blow apart....

Comment

It's a supernatural hurricane, fueled by the damned souls in the ghost rock nukes and the souls of the poor victims of the original blast.
      If it was possible to remove a Ghost Storm, I'd require a few things:
      • Reduce the local Fear Level to 2 or less. Yes, this is a massive challenge that could prevent it from happening at all.
      • A massive ritual to put the souls to rest. Essentially a funeral good enough that the approximately million souls, neglected for decades, can be freed to move on.
      • Siphoning the magical energy of the Storm elsewhere. Junkyard and Denver were protected by a short-lived field that directed the supernatural death energies into the surrounding countryside (creating a blighted wasteland) and away from the communities being protected. The posse would need to do something of similar scale, though they could choose to be more considerate of the consequences.
      • Some kind of sealing / cleansing ritual to banish the supernatural imprint of a couple decades of resident mega-magic. Otherwise, the Storm is just in remission (like cancer) and could come back in time (like cancer).
      Basically, it would require a couple of story arcs to set up (getting the supplies and lowering the Fear Level sufficiently) and then another major adventure (or arc) to pull it off. And it would be a really, really big deal.
      I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Originally posted by ValhallaGH View Post
        [*]Reduce the local Fear Level to 2 or less. Yes, this is a massive challenge that could prevent it from happening at all.
        Difficult, but not impossible... Stomping a Deadland back to Fear level 2 is an impressive challenge. Though, Boise is in the middle of a ghost storm and it's Fear Level is 3 after the Boise Horror is defeated.
        [*]A massive ritual to put the souls to rest. Essentially a funeral good enough that the approximately million souls, neglected for decades, can be freed to move on.
        Hmm... the Ghost Dance ritual, if done on a massive scale could be effective. The books from Deadlands did say if the entire world joined in the dance, a lot of good would come of it. However, finding the ritual would be a herculean task for the players... as well as convincing people who aren't Luddites to trust an Old Ways ritual...
        [*]Siphoning the magical energy of the Storm elsewhere. Junkyard and Denver were protected by a short-lived field that directed the supernatural death energies into the surrounding countryside (creating a blighted wasteland) and away from the communities being protected. The posse would need to do something of similar scale, though they could choose to be more considerate of the consequences.
        The Space Needle Siphon from Seattle comes to mind (In a HOE Classic book). From all impressions, its presently corrupted version sustains the deadland in Seattle. But if it was repaired to the way it was designed it could draw energy away. Similarly, the Star Gate ritual that Silas used to attack Armana used a colossal amount of energy, using up a large amount of radiation in the process.
        [*]Some kind of sealing / cleansing ritual to banish the supernatural imprint of a couple decades of resident mega-magic. Otherwise, the Storm is just in remission (like cancer) and could come back in time (like cancer).
        The cleansing ritual may be required, but similarly, if one removes the source of the infection (namely the Reckoners) from Earth, would that not allow for the world to begin healing on its own? Or at least, have nature spirits nurture it back to life?

Many thanks. You have given me much to think on (and possibly a campaign...)

Comment

Glad to provide useful ideas.
          Originally posted by thedoofwarrior View Post
          The cleansing ritual may be required, but similarly, if one removes the source of the infection (namely the Reckoners) from Earth, would that not allow for the world to begin healing on its own? Or at least, have nature spirits nurture it back to life?
          No, removing the Reckoners wouldn't help because the collective power of humanity is greater than the Reckoners - and humans believe in Ghost Storms (with good reason). It's a bit like smoking and lung cancer - it doesn't matter that if the smoker has quit for ten days or ten years, the damage has been done and the cancer needs to be completely cleared up to keep it from ever coming back.

Also, nature spirits are nearly extinct after the tech spirits ate most of them on Judgement Day. See the Classic Junker book for details.
          I hope you find the above post useful. And not insulting, because I was trying to be helpful, not insulting; being a pedantic jerk, that isn't always clear.

Comment

Working...
          X