Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20?

Please use carefully and respect the copyrights of the works you convert by placing the appropriate information on your documents.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Which is easier to Savage?

GURPS
7%
GURPS
7%
GURPS
7%
GURPS
7%
D20
18%
D20
18%
D20
18%
D20
18%

Total votes: 112

Savage Jedi
Seasoned

Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20?

#1 Postby Savage Jedi » Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:59 pm

I was thinking of picking up Prime Directive. It comes in two flavors GURPS and D20. Seeing how the only thing I'll ever run will be Savage Worlds I was wondering which engine do you guys think Savages more easily.
I hope you become comfortable with the use of logic without being deceived into concluding that logic will inevitably lead you to the correct conclusion. - Neil Armstrong

Ben Jackson
Seasoned

#2 Postby Ben Jackson » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:00 pm

I voted d20, although I have never personally done any converting. The reason I voted for d20 is because there is a conversion guide right in SWR. I am interested in the results of this poll, though, because I definately want to start converting. (have to get a lot more experience under my belt, first :))
I think this uniform needs something; something that says "I'm here to destroy you", but with a sense of fun.

"Ben Jackson - Savage Worlds Evangelist." - dap6000

lamrok
Seasoned

#3 Postby lamrok » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:06 pm

I vote for GURPS because, in general, translating a Universal system to a Universal system is fairly easy. I've translated loads of GURPS stuff to Hero over the years with no problems at all.

fanchergw
Heroic

#4 Postby fanchergw » Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:14 pm

Actually, since there is a d6 version coming, you might want to wait for that. From what I know of the system, it is probably more similar to SW than either GURPS or d20.

Gordon

Big_Pete
Novice

#5 Postby Big_Pete » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:14 am

I find that GURPS has more usable source material than D20, which I find to be Rules heavy.

Pete

jblittlefield
Legendary

#6 Postby jblittlefield » Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:34 am

IMHO, neither -- you don't convert the numbers, just the feel when Savaging a setting, so rule sets are irrelevant. I can just as easily Savage Palladium as I can GURPS or D20 or D6 or whatever. ;)

Revolution 9
Veteran

#7 Postby Revolution 9 » Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:52 am

JB said it first. Just go with whichever version has better background info and so forth. Don't worry too much about the numbers.
Final Fantasy is neither final nor fantasy.

screenmonkey
Veteran

#8 Postby screenmonkey » Fri Feb 17, 2006 10:55 am

Since either will convert as well as the other (though i think GURPS will go better, it really depends on which of the two you're more familiar with), the question is which will be a better quality book. GURPS products are better than d20 products as a rule of thumb. Go with the GURPS version.

razorwise
Legendary

#9 Postby razorwise » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:04 am

While you don't convert the numbers literally, they do have importance when it comes to relative scale of creatures abilties, attributes, and skills. I'm surprised no one suggested converting from the system you're most familiar and comfortable with (i.e. Gurps or D20). That's what I would do with all other variables being equal. :)

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Sean

Savage Jedi
Seasoned

#10 Postby Savage Jedi » Fri Feb 17, 2006 11:33 am

Thanks for all the help guys, especially jb for reminding me that rule sets aren't as important when converting to SW. I never had a choice between two systems for one setting and I guess it threw me off.

I'll probably go with GURPS version for the reasons Big Pete brought up, which I agree with.

PAT!
I hope you become comfortable with the use of logic without being deceived into concluding that logic will inevitably lead you to the correct conclusion. - Neil Armstrong

Wiggy
Legendary

Re: Which is easier to Savage, GURPS or D20?

#11 Postby Wiggy » Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:16 pm

Savage Jedi wrote:I was thinking of picking up Prime Directive. It comes in two flavors GURPS and D20. Seeing how the only thing I'll ever run will be Savage Worlds I was wondering which engine do you guys think Savages more easily.

Also comes in tasty Original System flavor as well :)

Wiggy
Wiggy
Creative Director Triple Ace Games

jblittlefield
Legendary

#12 Postby jblittlefield » Sat Feb 18, 2006 7:38 am

razorwise wrote:While you don't convert the numbers literally, they do have importance when it comes to relative scale of creatures abilties, attributes, and skills.

Not really -- I don't even look at game stats. I read descriptions, read background, review the various roles within the game/adventure and make my decisions based on these. I wasn't kidding when I said convert the feel, not the numbers. ;)

razorwise
Legendary

#13 Postby razorwise » Sat Feb 18, 2006 10:37 am

Bill, that may work fine for you and others with more experience in conversion; people newer to the process need some direction. Take for example an alien that is listed as really strong---is that a d8, d10, d12, or higher? It varies based upon the writer's skill and the reader's perception. But most people have the baseline experience to know, in a d20 game, that a Str of 14 is gonna rank lower than one of 18. If Shane and company didn't think it was necessary and thought it could all be instinctual, I doubt they'd waste the space to put the conversion chart in the book. :)

Just my two cents. I'm sure your process works fine for you, but a lot of people are more comfortable with guidelines until they get a feel for the process.

Personally, as I go through conversion processes of various products and systems, I don't attempt a literal translation, either. To do so, can take a lot of time and effort with little, if any noticeable, effect on gameplay, so I see your point. I'll just emphasize that everyone is new once and we should all remember that and look at it from their perspective. :)

Ultimately, the feel of the setting is the thing, sure, and however you get there is fine. Proof of success is everyone having a good time.

Regards,

Sean

jblittlefield
Legendary

#14 Postby jblittlefield » Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:32 pm

razorwise wrote:Bill, that may work fine for you and others with more experience in conversion; people newer to the process need some direction.

Oh, I agree -- I just meant that the importance of the numbers was relative. ;)

jeff
Veteran

#15 Postby jeff » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:11 pm

Wiggy wrote:
Savage Jedi wrote:I was thinking of picking up Prime Directive. It comes in two flavors GURPS and D20. Seeing how the only thing I'll ever run will be Savage Worlds I was wondering which engine do you guys think Savages more easily.

Also comes in tasty Original System flavor as well :)

Wiggy

That's what I've been working to convert. As soon as I can finish typing it up, I'll see about submitting it to Shark Bytes.
The day mutant zombies rise in my town is the day I get to be a hero.

Vonether
Veteran

#16 Postby Vonether » Wed Mar 01, 2006 9:57 pm

Prime Directive ... that Star Trek, right?

Well, in that case you do it in true Savage fashion. You reach out to the great SW fan base and find what's on the fan sites to give you a jump start.

www.savageheros.com is a great place to start.
http://www.savageheroes.com/conversions.htm

Mr. Freak
Veteran

#17 Postby Mr. Freak » Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:07 pm

D20 by a long shot, now most of the low level Gurps stuff is easy to savage, but when you start trying to get the gritty realism that is in Trans Human space or some of the other math heavy Sci-Fi settings it does not work too well.

scourger
Seasoned

#18 Postby scourger » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:48 pm

I'd say d20 because I'm more familiar with it. But in this case I'll suggest GURPS because I've got GURPS Prime Directive and you're welcome to it. Send me a PM if interested.

Savage Jedi
Seasoned

#19 Postby Savage Jedi » Fri Mar 03, 2006 11:35 pm

scourger wrote:
I'd say d20 because I'm more familiar with it. But in this case I'll suggest GURPS because I've got GURPS Prime Directive and you're welcome to it. Send me a PM if interested.

I already picked it up, but thanx for the offer :D.

I decided to go with GURPS because it seemed like it spent less space on mechanics and more on fluff.

Harshax
Seasoned

#20 Postby Harshax » Tue Mar 07, 2006 10:08 am

jblittlefield wrote:IMHO, neither -- you don't convert the numbers, just the feel when Savaging a setting, so rule sets are irrelevant. I can just as easily Savage Palladium as I can GURPS or D20 or D6 or whatever. ;)

Converting feel is exactly why I prefer GURPS worldbooks over D20 worldbooks. GURPS is all about feel, with a 100-Level College Paper attached. Take GURPS Space for instance, which I'm using as my World Builder source. GURPS Space presents discussions on how technology influences the world you want to build. Hard Science or Super Science? FTL Communication, or the Pony Express? GURPS Space in this instance provides enough hard science for you to grasp the feeling you're going for.

All the GURPS worldbooks, from what I've seen, focus on information and facts first, then on setting.

Return to “SW Home-brew Settings & Conversions”