Lack of Dodge in Savage Worlds

Post questions or comments directly to the Pinnacle crew here. Please be patient and try to keep conversations to a BARE minimum--the guys get a LOT of mail! Please also direct rules questions to the relevant forum--most folks there will already know what you're looking for. Thanks!

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Anonymous

Lack of Dodge in Savage Worlds

#1 Postby Anonymous » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:28 am

I just got the savage world system and have got the update for Wierd West, first I noticed was the lack of a dodge for shooting combat. In deadlands I liked the idea of a dodge, why was it removed for savage? If I wanted to do dodge in deadlands savage world how? just add a new skill called dodge?

jblittlefield
Legendary

#2 Postby jblittlefield » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:38 am

p31 - Dodge is an Edge. If you want everyone to have it simply allow it as a free Edge to everyone without cost; or consider it a skill and reword Improved Dodge to add a +2 bonus to the skill roll. The latter is how I'd do it. ;)

You'll also notice that Grit is gone as well. We simply allow a +1 Guts mod for each rank above Novice to simulate Grit.

MadTinkerer
Legendary

#3 Postby MadTinkerer » Sun Oct 05, 2003 1:58 pm

The idea of taking out Dodge is that you're supposed to use the cover provided by the bar/horse/ditch to avoid getting hit by bullets instead of trying to move faster than bullets/arrows/knives. But the Dodge Edges are there for folks who want to be "luckier" at avoiding missiles.
"Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from science!" - Agatha Heterodyne

Check out Mad Tinkerer Dot Org!

skylion
Veteran

Yeah, but....

#4 Postby skylion » Sun Oct 05, 2003 8:25 pm

You'll also notice that Grit is gone as well. We simply allow a +1 Guts mod for each rank above Novice to simulate Grit.

This is something I need to change before making the conversion to SW. I think grit should be earned on an adventure to adventure basis. With the nature of Deadlands, you could play a straight western game with just a touch of the weird. In that case a Legendary hero that hasn't faced a single zombie wouldn't stand a chance against a season hero that has faced zombies, dust devils, et al. and lived to tell the tale (and reduced the fear level too boot).

marshal kt
Legendary

#5 Postby marshal kt » Sun Oct 05, 2003 9:26 pm

and unless your running a 'woo' type adventure, you can't dodge bullets or most arrows, just dive for cover and hope you get behind it.

jblittlefield
Legendary

Re: Yeah, but....

#6 Postby jblittlefield » Mon Oct 06, 2003 5:26 am

skylion wrote:

This is something I need to change before making the conversion to SW. I think grit should be earned on an adventure to adventure basis. With the nature of Deadlands, you could play a straight western game with just a touch of the weird. In that case a Legendary hero that hasn't faced a single zombie wouldn't stand a chance against a season hero that has faced zombies, dust devils, et al. and lived to tell the tale (and reduced the fear level too boot).

Grit's not even in SW - it's an add-on we use. In my games, if your Legendary and have never seen a Zombie than something's wrong - you've probably had your eyes closed ;)

Cethegus
Novice

#7 Postby Cethegus » Mon Oct 06, 2003 7:36 am

I only played DL two or three times, but as i can remember Gunfights were allways relatively close combat... sometimes between Houses and Stables, but more often inside an Saloon or Crypt or Cave or something creepy ;)

I allways wondered what exactly is meant by "dodging" an bullet that is fired at you from only ... 6 or 12" away? Faster than sound movement? :?

I think the SW way is much more likely ... you have an TN of 4 which represents the chance of the gunner to miss you, rather of yours to evade the shot. If the Battle takes place in more open field and opponents are further away from each other ... well just add the appropriate Penalties for the used weapon and Cover... and if you like add more Penalties for allready moving (riding, running, ...) targets... Its all up to your imagination anyway :lol:
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large numbers!

Dieter
Seasoned

#8 Postby Dieter » Mon Oct 06, 2003 8:51 am

Cethegus wrote:I allways wondered what exactly is meant by "dodging" an bullet that is fired at you from only ... 6 or 12" away? Faster than sound movement? :?

My take on dodging bullets at short distances is more like your ability to psyche-out the shooter. Also, you have to take into consideration that while tokens/minis/counters are static on the gameboard, real combat is anything but static. It's assumed that in a life/death situation, the principles are moving about deke-ing/feigning their manuevers in the hopes of not getting stabbed or shot.
Hell, I'll kill a man in a fair fight or if I think he's gonna start a fair fight or if he bothers me or if there's a woman or if I'm gettin paid. Mostly only when I'm gettin paid.
--- Jayne Cobb, Serenity

Return to “Hey Pinnacle!”