Survivor Settlements

All discussions about the Wasted West and Way Out West settings. If system specific, please note in the subject line, [SW], [Classic], or [d20].

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Should this topic be archived?

Yes
18%
Yes
18%
Yes
18%
Yes
18%
No
1%
No
1%
No
1%
No
1%
Too late
6%
Too late
6%
Too late
6%
Too late
6%

Total votes: 104

Clint
Site Admin

#21 Postby Clint » Mon May 23, 2005 9:34 am

If I archive it, no one else can reply to this topic anymore.

Is that cool with everyone? You can always start a new thread with a link to the archived discussion.
Clint Black
Savage Worlds Core Rules Brand Manager

www.peginc.com

Shawn
Seasoned

#22 Postby Shawn » Mon May 23, 2005 2:30 pm

*takes a small bow* Thanks for the props. And to think, my old posse used to groan and gripe when I pulled out my White Note book O' Doom.
Plimba-te pe la ferma, cara fructe cu remorca, fereste zapada si joaca jocuri tractoare de cele mai noi.

Old Patch
Veteran

#23 Postby Old Patch » Mon May 23, 2005 3:15 pm

Can you archive it, and then re-list under a slightly different heading?

Great stuff in any case!
Old Patch

"Outside of a Dog, a Book is a Man's Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, it is too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx~

Clint
Site Admin

#24 Postby Clint » Mon May 23, 2005 3:39 pm

Old Patch wrote:Can you archive it, and then re-list under a slightly different heading?

Not to my knowledge.

I gave the only option I know of. I tested it. If I send a thread to the archive, that's where it goes. There's no way to copy it I'm aware of. I can leave a "shadow topic" in this forum, but it can't be replied to either.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Clint
Site Admin

#25 Postby Clint » Mon May 23, 2005 3:48 pm

Heh, rack one up for thinking outside the box! :D

Apparently, topics with polls aren't purged, so I just edited the topic to add a poll.

Taa-daa! Archived without being archived. :twisted:
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Old Patch
Veteran

#26 Postby Old Patch » Mon May 23, 2005 4:00 pm

Damn, you are good!
Old Patch

"Outside of a Dog, a Book is a Man's Best Friend. Inside of a Dog, it is too dark to read." ~Groucho Marx~

Asmodai
Seasoned

#27 Postby Asmodai » Tue May 24, 2005 8:20 am

...and it also seems to have got teller's seal of approval ;)
...archive ;)
Everything I need to know in life, I learned from comparing movies to my exes

Asmodai
Seasoned

#28 Postby Asmodai » Tue May 24, 2005 8:36 am

Clint wrote:
Old Patch wrote:Can you archive it, and then re-list under a slightly different heading?

I gave the only option I know of. I tested it. If I send a thread to the archive, that's where it goes. There's no way to copy it I'm aware of. I can leave a "shadow topic" in this forum, but it can't be replied to either.

You can simply copy the contents or do with the shadow topic...
Everything I need to know in life, I learned from comparing movies to my exes

Clint
Site Admin

#29 Postby Clint » Tue May 24, 2005 9:57 am

Asmodai wrote:
Clint wrote:I gave the only option I know of. I tested it. If I send a thread to the archive, that's where it goes. There's no way to copy it I'm aware of. I can leave a "shadow topic" in this forum, but it can't be replied to either.

You can simply copy the contents or do with the shadow topic...

Copy the contents how? As I said, I'm not aware of a way to do that. I could just copy the contents of the one post, but not the entire thread.

Besides, moot point now. The thread is saved. Read my previous post.
Clint Black

www.peginc.com

Son of a Gun
Novice

#30 Postby Son of a Gun » Thu Sep 08, 2005 3:49 am

What about entertainment? I imagine live entertainment is the way to go, and looking to the good old fallout games, I imagine prostitution, gambling, and getting blind drunk are main forms of spending your money. In many ways it's alot like the old west... Plus dens of prostitution, gambling, and whiskey peddlin' are always good places for posses to get in a fight.

Don't forget to take into account it was 2081 when the bombs dropped, technology was probably pretty darn advanced. I imagine hydroponic farms and the like could help provide food, and a food processor could turn soy into almost anything you need. Advanced water/air/waste filters and the like are also a consideration. Perhaps it's just that I've been raised on fallout and living in a vault and whatnot, but I imagine that alot of survivor settlements are people living out of an actual shelter meant to survive the apocalypse. I always liked vaults. And people were probably really paranoid in the last couple of years, shelters might have sounded like a really good idea...

Come on, you know you want your heros stopping at the towns Vault-Tec food processor to get a soyburger.
In the glow of the bomb,
The new age arose.

Psykoguy
Heroic

#31 Postby Psykoguy » Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:08 pm

Entertainment?

Story Tellin (especially old TV shows)
Vid slugs (always popular from Movie Town)
Theaters could have their own mini settlements around it
Old Video games
Pit Fights
Gamblin
Old books
booze
prostitutes
Good old fashioned sports

Can't think of anything else yet
Highlander was a documentry, and it was filmed in real time!

Kain A. Ashburner
Veteran

#32 Postby Kain A. Ashburner » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:50 am

Psykoguy wrote:Can't think of anything else yet

Uhh... Drugs? I'd imagine you could make a fortune raising those.
Kain A. Ashburner

Sean
Novice

#33 Postby Sean » Sat Sep 10, 2005 1:09 pm

As for the limiting factors for city size energy and food:

Think about the great population centers in the past where the only energy where windmills and fire (for heating and cooking), and fertilisers where not common at all.

Rome had a population of about 1.000.000 people before the middle ages, and still around 100.000 while the middle ages. You might as well look at other ancient citys in Wikipedia. (of course Rome was a trading city - but there where some big citys wich where nearly self-sufficent in that time).

The very limiting factor for city size in HOE is the hostile enviroment, if a city is large it cannot hide, and is suspective to attacks. And if it then cannot defend itself it is possibly no longer a city but a ruins :wink:

I think all the big citys in HOE are noteable in their ability to defend themself. And not in their ability to grow food or their fresswathersuplies.

As for founding a surivor settelment i would look first for a secure place - then for wather and after this for a source of food.

Son of a Gun
Novice

#34 Postby Son of a Gun » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:20 pm

I'm rather fond of the idea of everyone getting high after the apocalypse. Addicts are so much fun to mess with, too. I remember the Den...
In the glow of the bomb,

The new age arose.

Father Wendigo
Veteran

#35 Postby Father Wendigo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:22 pm

Brother Actinism wrote:I'm rather fond of the idea of everyone getting high after the apocalypse. Addicts are so much fun to mess with, too. I remember the Den...

Elaborate for us squares, please.

Dereck
Novice

bad form?

#36 Postby Dereck » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:04 pm

Hey all, is it bad Form to suggest using the new gamma wolrd books for reference? They have some great ideas on communities in the cryptic alliances book.
(Just keep in mind, every time they write "nano", change it to "Ghost-Rock")

Love the villiage table btw

[i]If youre wondering how they eat and breathe and other science facts... Just repeat to yourself its just a game, I should really just relax

Kain A. Ashburner
Veteran

#37 Postby Kain A. Ashburner » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:38 pm

Father Wendigo wrote:
Brother Actinism wrote:I'm rather fond of the idea of everyone getting high after the apocalypse. Addicts are so much fun to mess with, too. I remember the Den...

Elaborate for us squares, please.

It's a Fallout 2 joke, and it really would have made more sense if he said "The Stables" or "Redding". Basically it had to do with masses of people being addicted to this new drug called "Jet" that seemed to cause addiction instantly. Whole towns were being controlled by it, cause they couldn't live without it (it being something that basically screwed with your Endorphin levels.) Eventually though, you COULD cure it if you talked to Myron...

But yeah, their reall should be alot more Drug use after Doomsday. I'd imagine a pretty cool adventure would have to deal with a new drug popping up in Junkyard that is made by distilling Spook Juice and mixing it with other stuff...
Kain A. Ashburner

Father Wendigo
Veteran

#38 Postby Father Wendigo » Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:43 pm

Kain A. Ashburner wrote:But yeah, their reall should be alot more Drug use after Doomsday. I'd imagine a pretty cool adventure would have to deal with a new drug popping up in Junkyard that is made by distilling Spook Juice and mixing it with other stuff...

Actually, this was also covered in the d20 H.O.E. Critter Book. They're called "Recruiters" IIRC.

Psykoguy
Heroic

#39 Postby Psykoguy » Fri Sep 16, 2005 1:57 am

Really? Hmm, I should (dare i say it) look into the d20 deadlands books if they have things that aren't in the regular books.
Highlander was a documentry, and it was filmed in real time!

ScooterinAB
Seasoned

#40 Postby ScooterinAB » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:26 am

I always wondered what would happen if you took chrushed ghost rock like coke. Other than probably dying. I guess Black Line (from LC) is the closest we get for that.

Great table. I was going to suggest a complex series of modifiers and needless adjustment (we are gamers after all). But it looks like you got that already. I am a bit confused on some of the fuel cost modifiers (namely 5-9, and why the rest are really high). Other than than, looks great.

Return to “Deadlands: Hell on Earth & Lost Colony”