Showing off SW

Just got your book, can't find a copy, have a cool adventure idea or story? Chat about it here.

Moderators: PEG Jodi, The Moderators

Renny
Seasoned

Showing off SW

#1 Postby Renny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 2:44 am

Hey all

Would be interested in your opinion. I've been asked to run a short Savage Worlds adventure to show off the system. It probably needs to be a one-sheet or similar as I only have three hours or so. What do you think is the best adventure for the job?
"Believe it or not," Doc advised her, "we get some fun out of this sort of thing."

Currently 99% Savage and proud !

Zadmar
Legendary

Re: Showing off SW

#2 Postby Zadmar » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:00 am

If you're specifically trying to show off the system, you might want to take a look at Saga of the Goblin Horde. There are 8 One Sheets, and they all make extensive use of Savage Worlds mechanics such as Chases, Dramatic Tasks, Interludes, Social Conflicts, Quick Combat, etc, as well as offering guidelines for awarding Bennies. There are also 15 archetypes (each of which includes suggested tie-ins for the Interlude rules) and a player's guide, all available for free. The setting itself is also designed to play to the strengths of Savage Worlds, making extensive use of allies.
My blog: Savage Stuff. I've also written some free tools and supplements.

Snate56
Legendary

#3 Postby Snate56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:51 am

I would also suggest you stick with the Test Drive Rules.

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

ZenFox42
Veteran

#4 Postby ZenFox42 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:31 am

That very same question came up just a couple of months ago, and was discussed (with many suggestions) HERE.
Savage Summaries-RAW, with added info from Clint:Combat Actions,Cover,Healing,Using Powers,Grappling,Chases
Also:Persuasion,Better Bosses,Better Combat Rating
And:historical tech levels,generic sci-fi tech levels

Snate56
Legendary

#5 Postby Snate56 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 9:20 am

Hey, Renny, forgot to ask: Are these players just new to Savage Worlds, or have they ever role-played before?

SteveN
"Politicians and diapers must be changed often, and for the same reasons."
>Mark Twain<

Erolat
Novice

#6 Postby Erolat » Sun Mar 19, 2017 12:47 pm

It depends on the setting of the demo.

If you are running for a group that has a lot of D&D experience then the Lankmar test drive is really nice.
If they have less experience with RPGs then I like The Hunt one sheet as it is modern characters in an interesting situation.
If you think they might prefer something a bit more sci-fi the USS Kane in the back of the core book is nice.

Tell us a bit more about your prospective audience and we might be able to narrow it down some.

Renny
Seasoned

#7 Postby Renny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Zadmar wrote:If you're specifically trying to show off the system, you might want to take a look at Saga of the Goblin Horde.

Thanks for the links. I've been meaning to check out Saga Of The Goblin Horde since hearing your interview. Looks amazing.
"Believe it or not," Doc advised her, "we get some fun out of this sort of thing."

Renny
Seasoned

#8 Postby Renny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:43 pm

Snate56 wrote:I would also suggest you stick with the Test Drive Rules.

SteveN

That is a very good point, actually.

Renny
Seasoned

#9 Postby Renny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:44 pm

ZenFox42 wrote:That very same question came up just a couple of months ago, and was discussed (with many suggestions) HERE.

Thanks, i'll read through those later.

Renny
Seasoned

#10 Postby Renny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:47 pm

Snate56 wrote:Hey, Renny, forgot to ask: Are these players just new to Savage Worlds, or have they ever role-played before?

SteveN

The players are members of my regular AD&D group so most are not new to role-playing. Most have played SW before but it's been a while and one has never played it before. There has been some interest in looking at other systems so obviously I want to push my favourite system.

Renny
Seasoned

#11 Postby Renny » Sun Mar 19, 2017 3:54 pm

Erolat wrote:It depends on the setting of the demo.

If you are running for a group that has a lot of D&D experience then the Lankmar test drive is really nice.
If they have less experience with RPGs then I like The Hunt one sheet as it is modern characters in an interesting situation.
If you think they might prefer something a bit more sci-fi the USS Kane in the back of the core book is nice.

Tell us a bit more about your prospective audience and we might be able to narrow it down some.

All great suggestions, thanks. As noted above, the group are mostly veteran AD&D players but with one relative newcomer.

Return to “SW General Chat & Game Stories”